1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The bass player request line is not open...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jdh3000, Dec 12, 2019.

1. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    How many, especially in cover bands, seem like they are the only one in the band someone approaches for requests?

Of course they always approach me during a song, or right before one begins... We try to be friendly and approachable, but for some reason I'm the "go to guy."

I've played guitar in other bands and it doesn't seem to happen as much then, but I noticed them going to the bass player.

I've tried everything from laying a pen and paper by the tip jar to just asking them to come back after the sing, but they just stand there and get louder.

My favorite times are when they use my mic stand to keep from falling and hit me in the face, or when they just fall onto the stage... fun times for sure...

Usually even if I hear the request, I forget it by the end of the song.

Oh yea, when I tell them we don't know that, I get to engage in a wonderful discussion of "Sure you do, you can do it!"

Amano, Beej, HolmeBass and 7 others like this.
  2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    As a former DJ who got requests constantly for songs I would never play, I give you the standard answer: "I'll see if we can work it in." :smug:

3. kevindahl

kevindahl

Aug 21, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Ha Ha I never realized this. Maybe cos I have the most eye contact, our guitar player always look down and most non musicians have the ettiquette not to harass someone who is singing. The drummer is too far away.

Edited to add: The best requests are when the audience asks for Beyonce or someone similar when we are an all male classic rock/rock cover band.

dpaul, McG, Mr_Moo and 2 others like this.
  4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

“write your request down in a $100 bill, and I’ll see what we can do”

Bass players get hit up because of the public perception that we’re the least threatening. Unless it’s Gene Simmons.

5. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    download.jpeg

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    No one ever talks to me.

7. In my old band people would approach me because the singer was singing and guitarist had a pedal board that I assume people were worried about stepping on..... and because the bass player is the nicest one in the band

I've been in an all male cover band and had a request for ABBA... I mean what the?!?!
    in another band a young lady requested YMCA - our drummer looked at her and said "Do we look like the Village people to you"?
    I've had requests for songs from the 'Frozen' movie (I've never seen the movie)

the problem is with being in a cover band is the audience expect you to know every song that's ever been written, and when they request a song and you politely tell them you don't play it.... they look at you in amazement like 'how come you don't know THAT song'?

lbbc, lfmn16, okcrum and 6 others like this.
  8. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    As I read that I had an image in my mind of Gene Simmons taking a request from an audience member...

juancaminos, mikewalker and McG like this.
  9. If I was able to catch one of your shows, I would certainly talk to you

MynameisMe and juancaminos like this.
  10. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    It's always my keyboard player, because he can't move, and he vastly compounds this problem by trying to talk back to them.

foal30 and jdh3000 like this.
  11. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

He’d require at least a thousand dollar bill.

12. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    if you were in your proper spot beside (or behind) the drummer, that wouldn't happen. :cool:

Beej, bigjohnyeti and Oddly like this.
  13. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    It's even funnier when someone seeks out the drummer to ask if the group knows a song. WTH does the drummer have to do with the band knowing the song? :roflmao:

shughey, SunByrne, jdh3000 and 5 others like this.
  14. Those people turn up to originals bands too. "We don't know these songs. Play some [totally unrelated artist]".

15. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Awww...

16. Because we're the best listeners.

17. if people have a request from Gene Simmons they just write the request on his tongue

jdh3000 likes this.
  18. years ago I took my ex GF to a gig to see a friends original band playing.....my ex said to me afterwards that they weren't a very good band because she didn't know any of the songs...

jdh3000, Alik, kevindahl and 3 others like this.
  19. 2playbass

2playbass

Aug 12, 2013
    In my band we have a singer and 2 guitar players. I just hang back with the drummer and let them deal with that crap. We're an acoustic rock band, but we always get requests for country songs just because we've got acoustic guitars on stage. After playing a set with Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Godsmack, we get, "Do you know any Dwight Yoakam?". No disrespect meant to him or country fans, but, "Hell no..."

jdh3000 and Mr_Moo like this.
  20. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I'm definitely the guy the guy who's approached with requests. Since we're a 70% originals, with most of the remaining 30% being obscure or deep cut covers, we rarely have requested songs on our playlist. I used to just say "Sorry but we don't know that one" and watch a disappointed person walk away. A better way is to say "Wow, that's a great song. We don't know it but I'll add it to the list of songs to learn. Thanks for the idea!". People always walk away happy after that. :)

Amano, Beej, Flooflox and 16 others like this.