Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THe BaSs PLaYeR's PeRSoNa

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, Jan 13, 2001.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Now we all know that every member of the band can be labelled with some stereotypical personality, often undeservedly passed on from famous musicians who were .. "unique". Ergo;

Drummers - often called "Chuck" or some other such stoneage pretension, they are assumed to be intellectually inept.

my question is, what's your typical bass player's projected persona? What kinda people are attracted to the bass as an instrument?

2. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Welcome to TalkBass *ToNeS*.

Bass players are cool, intelligent, observant, mellow/crazy, and most of all fun. I opt for mellow in the aformentioned slashed comment.

Jay

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Bass players are also more attractive than the rest of the band and are like magnets to the opposite sex. Most of us can walk on water but we're much too laid back to do it.:)

Pkr2

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bass players can and often do count as high as 7 or 8, although everyone else in the band usually has a problem making it past 4 :D

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Does anyone else find that bass players tend to be sensitive and sometimes even slightly feminine? Flea being an obvious example for this hypothesis ..

6. bass players are the major foundation of any band, and most bass players walk on solid ground.

ToNeS* Does anyone else find that bass players tend to be sensitive and sometimes even slightly feminine? Flea being an obvious example for this hypothesis

um, are you trying to tell us something about yourself? :D

7. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Sexiness is definitely a trait shared by bassists. I can't really think of a non-sexy bassist. I mean... even Flea looks pretty good in his tube sock. ;)

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Not even Anthony Jackson (when he was overweight) and Lee Sklar? :D

Will C.:cool:

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    gruffpups, man .. don't question my sexuality !!! hahaha ah well, yeah, i am kinda in touch with my feminine side, if you must know. i even exfoliate every now and again.
    *ahem* my point is, tho .. a lot of chicks play bass. now, i get kinda miffed when ignorant peoples go "oh, chicks play it coz its easy, man!" .. then i hand them a transcription of Jaco's lines in "Havona" and they sorta shut up. But i was just wondering if there's a particular aspect of it that attracts women? I can name at least 10 female bass players (Melissa Auf Der Maur, D'Arcy, Rayna Foss, Talena Atfield, etc.), only 2 female guitarists (Courteny Love & Alanis Morisette) and no female drummers (that i can think of off the top of my head).

10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Another thread about stereotyping....:rolleyes:

11. A female drummmer is the one from The Corrs. I'm mellow, and laid back. So is my guitarist and drummer...

12. Bass players are cool.

You know why?

Because i'm cool, that's why :/

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Some female guitarists of note are Bonnie Raitt, one of America's best slide guitarists and regualrly voted by Guitar Player Magazine as "Slide Guitarist of the Year."

Another is Jennifer Batten, who toured with Michael Jackson and taught at Guitar Institute in Los Angeles. I don't know what she is doing now.

Susan Tedeschi is a very competent blues guitarist and singer.

Charo, who is best known for her "hoochi coochie" flirtatiousness and Las Vegas nightclub style singing and dancing, does dedicate the end of her shows to a serious set of Flamenco guitar playing. Actually she blew me away when I saw her play. But she is from a generation of women who had to be sexy and feminine first and talented only second.

Oh, back to the main part of the question...bass players are supercool. We are sure enough of our own value that we generally don't need to be front men and women in order to seek approval from our audience.

Jason Oldsted
    Jason Oldsted

14. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    That's only when you're counting your strings John! :D

15. Jennifer is playing with Jeff Beck now and if she is good enough for him shes good enough for me.

she has been on his last two CD's i have the first of the two, called "Who Else" pretty darn good stuff. it has a lot of techno rock on it with Jeff and Jen playing over it and after listening to it all i can say is who else could pull this off.

16. Cool, man, cool.

How else do you exude an air of authority !!!

17. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Bassists are definately the best looking, sexiest, and smartest members of the band. Our intellect and wit are unmatchable as is our energy and enthusiasm. Bassists are also extremely sarcastic.

18. what do you mean by that? :rolleyes:

:D that is SO true!!

19. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    We also are born with the knowledge of exactly when to kick the drummer in the balls!!!

20. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    That's called timing, mike. Just part of being a well rounded bassist. :) :)

Pkr2