Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the bass that has taken all the playing time away from my fodera and f bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by narud, Aug 1, 2005.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ......an early 80's sq series squier precision.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

great p bass tone,pretty light weight, beat to hell, and i love it. it suprisingly has great fretwork. i can slam the action as low as i want without buzz in the 17th through 20th frets like on some modern fenders ive played. im pretty happy for 212 + shipping because i was going to get a mim p and this thing kills those.

one of the first things i did when i got it was put on my vinyl copy of black flag's damaged lp and play along. it got me prepared for my funk and jazz gigs i had this past weekend :D

2. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Cool- can I have your Fodera?

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You can't beat the classic. We can all use a good P bass.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I played a creme squier jazz from that era which was pretty much smoking in every way, stock pickups and all. Lightweight too.

Will

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    its funny, i finally feel like a bass player. in ten years of playing this is my first p.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I recently posted this in technique forum:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Y'know: I've played basses and basses and basses over the last couple years - since I got serious about music, and especially since I became involved on TalkBass - and in all that time spent at music stores and whatnot, I never even picked up a fender Bass, assuming that it's old-fashioned or un-refined or whatever.

Well yesterday I picked up a used MIM Jazz 5 sunburst with a rosewood fingerboard (in perfect condition, except for fairly small roundwound-wear in some of the frets), and was amazed. It felt and played and sounded wonderful! I dunno, but I'm seriously considering forgetting the rest, and just going Fender!

I say all this because I maybe used to think that the electric bass had been greatly 'evolving' over fifty years, but now I'm thinking that - except for Warrs and Chapmans and the like - there's no excuse not to be able to change the bass world as we know it with an 'old' bass.

Bytheway: they wanted US$300 for that Jazz 5 - that's a pretty good price, isn't it?

Joe
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

I was thinking that I'd have to spend seven or eight or nine hundred for a "pro bass".

Joe

7. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I know what you mean. I never thought i would get a Fender bass. Thought it was too commercial and that EVERYONE and their mother had one. But I got one and now I know why. I have it as my experiment and customizable bass. New pickups (bassline quarterpounders), Leo Quan bridge, and stuff like that. I am gettign parts to make a frankenstein Jazz body/ p bass neck with some cool ideas. I will post them when i do it.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The fact that some of the most valued boutique basses are high end Fender styled instruments is a great testament to the utility of basic Fender designs. A well put together Fender is a great bass and very hard to beat.

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I have one of those SQ MIJ Squires.....best 4 string neck I ever grabbed.

The thing is amazing.

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well ive always been a fender fan but they have always been jazz basses. i still have my 62 and i regret selling my 78 jazz. this thing just sounds and feels good though. hell, the only reason im hanging on to the 62 is money reasons. i never play the thing.

dont get me wrong , boutique basses definitely have their place. i wouldnt want to be playing anything other than my fodera for the style of music of the tune thats in my sig. absolute easiest playing 5 string ive ever played.

lately though ive been mostly backing up singers and this thing just fits. also, paul jackson has been my biggest influence in my funk playing so finally playing that stuff on a p makes me grin. :smug:

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It's amazing how playing off of one pick-up with limited tone tweekage can be truly liberating sometimes. Sometimes the tones you don't get become as important as the tones you do get.
    I've also been getting into the neck pup thing and generating a very
    P-ish tone. It has a big effect on the way I approach playing, and much like the tonal differences, it's just as much about the notes and rythyms I don't play as the ones I do.
    It has taken me 20+ years to really appreciate what a P is all about and I still don't even own one!!

12. I have a squier P bass. LIGHT body that rings and sounds amazing. So me being me, I want to put a maple j bass neck on it to get a touch more top end and "forwardness" and it would then nearly compete with my stingray.

13. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    correct you are. no P bass=no bass player.
    welcome to the club. :D
    now ahve a drink on me.....