1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The bass that nobody really bought, but you...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Inspired by another thread.

Outside of custom basses, what bass or basses have you bought that never really got popular at all?

Please label the bass, in case any of us fall in love :) .

I've had a few, with my list toppers probably being these:

IBANEZ EDA905

maxresdefault.jpg

VOX APACHE

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnewatlas-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Farchive%2Fapache-bass.jpg

ALVAREZ DANA BASS

21d09di-jpg.jpg

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    LeCompte STSS
    I've never seen another one. I've never known anyone here to own up to having one.
    20200929_082803.jpg

3. Alvarez - ‘Dana’ bass w/offset neck 39FEE7D1-BBA2-43D2-BE13-D62B4D3E3032.jpeg

4. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    All of em, except the Rickenbacker 4001/3.
    Every other bass I ever bought has been either an endangered species or is already extinct.

Of my current basses, only the L2K that I just got a few days ago is more or less a mainstream bass that at least has a moderate following. The other two, my Tony Franklin and the Jaco Artist, are based off the kings of the hill, the Fender Precision and Jazz bass. But both are fretless signature versions so they're comparatively rare next to their mainstream fretted counterparts.

To the Tony Franklin's credit, though, it's one of the very very few fretless basses that actually seems to sell well enough to have stayed in production for an extended period of time. The Jaco Artist, though, faces an uncertain future as do all fretless basses from mainstream manufacturers.

And I've had a couple of 4001/3's, which is still a popular mainstream bass.

Otherwise, all my basses: "They're dead, Jim!"

My 3 current Fenders are pictured below.

L
    IMG_0442.jpeg

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That's the same as mine, except mine has a different headstock. I wasn't able to find any pictures of the one I still own.

Actually... the horns on mine look a little less sharp, also.

I have to wonder if that "offset" thing was a screw up in their manufacturing, or intentional :) .

6. I think yours was a later model. A Dana bass ll. They were a bit more rounded, and less sharp pointed. Mine was made in 1991. That’s why I added mine. They are slightly different.
    The offset was intentional. But apparently discovered by accident.

miljoneir and Joe Nerve like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Oh I remember their ad copy from back then. They touted the offset style as better balanced and easier on the wrists than traditional basses. I think they even made guitars like that?

8. I don’t think the guitars had much of an ‘offset’ angle, but they had a route in the body, just below the neck. Dana ‘Scoop’ guitar - it happened by mistake as a router accident. But, Dana Sutcliffe the Luthier, noticed it made a huge difference in sustain or something. Here is a link.
    https://www.myrareguitars.com/vintage-1994-alvarez-dana-scoop-electric-guitar BB54BD16-187C-4905-BDC8-CB1BB8430E02.jpeg

9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I worked at a shop that had one of these. It was the least stable neck joint I've ever played (I know, surprise, surprise :smug:), and the tri-coil pickup sounded pretty aweful... (IMHO)

droo46, tindrum, PennyroyalWe and 2 others like this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Don’t see a lot of these. Love the look and the sound and playability.
    7F091301-E89E-4468-B8C4-23DD26877535.jpeg

11. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    This one was never popular in Sunnyside but I bought it from Ridgewood. Epiphone Zenith Bass. Semi hollow Shadow nanomag/piezo pickups, sounds big! epiphonezenithbass.jpg

12. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Have an Ibanez EDA 904 which I and my bandmates (rare as they are) love. I know it's hated but I love the sound and adjustability of the piezo bridge.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  13. Does this count? 85 Matsumoku-built Westone Spectrum GT. They aren't particularly rare and you can find them for reasonable prices, but this was apparently Matsumoku's house brand and never caught on like the Arias and other brands they built did.

PHOTO_20200414_143323.jpg

14. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    epiphone-embassy-deluxe-xl.jpg

freakbeat, shadven, PeteOlig and 29 others like this.
  15. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Mine are all super pedestrian, the "basses by Leo" theme, basically. The MiJ Jazz Bass Special (fretless PJ) is the most unique of all I guess, but nothing like some of these you guys are showing off.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  16. Gibson Ripper, Carvin LB70, Ric 4001 fretless, Hohner Professional P/J fretless.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would say my Peavey Forum AX Five.

18. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Back in the 80's, I bought one of these... uh2kqxafnlr8asj9ugf4.jpg and I played it for many years.

19. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

Does my dolphin count ?
    16030813413215410774380850639866.jpg

20. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Ibanez RB999 "Bean" Bass BeanBassPhotosMain - 1.jpg BeanBassPhotosMain - 2.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020