Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The bass, the legend...the SR5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KYJazzy, Dec 3, 2004.

1. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    All right all you Ballers. (ernie...ballers).

I'm still tinkering with my humble MIM Jazz but it is time now, indeed, for 5 strings. I'm familiar with the vast amount of 5 stringers out there and the various options. It's quite mind-boggling.

The other day I was sittin' around watchin' the tele and somehow the Under the Bridge video came on. In that wacky Flea's hands was, lo and behold, a stingray5. I LOVE the tone of his bass on that song. Which brings me to my point,

I hear Stingray5's are 'one trick ponies.' But I have yet to clearly hear satisfying clips of their 'one trick.' Is the sound of Flea's bass on "under the bridge" the trick, or does anyone have solo clips of the stingray5 in action? fingerstyle, slap, tap, anything?

Thanks for anyone who can post up some solid sr5 clips. Also I know weight and sheer size of the instrument is pretty daunting, but that can be compromised if the sound is just too good to pass up.

Also, how do the Lakland 55's stack up? I hear they're pretty smooth as well.

2. Just because he's playing a Ray5 in the video dosn't mean thats what he recorded with. However, the next post may say that he infact recorded with the Ray. :bag:

3. +1

Ah yes, the great BSSM recording bass debate. I have heard Alembic, Wal, Spector, and Stingray from different sources. ;)

Check out Peter Gabriel's "Secret World Live" I think Tony Levin used an SR5 on several of those tracks.

The SR5 was my last standard bass before I switched to fanned frets. Great bass and quite versitile with the coils switching options. The B-string is very good for a 34" scale and will take some serious thumb abuse. They are heavy, but one of the new neoprene bass straps from Fender will take some of the load off your shoulder.

Your best bet is to go to you nearest E.B. dealer and try one out for yourself. Who cares what anyone else thinks if it is not the right bass for YOU. If you like them, check out ebay, because you can find some nice used ones for about 900 bucks.

4. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    By 'very good' you mean clear tone and tight? The fivers B strings that i've played in the past always annoyed me with its...flopability, making the E string harder to attack.

Neoprene bass straps? Huh, never even heard of those.

I'm very wary of buying from ebay. I noticed quite a few around here do it but don't understand how they can have such faith in people :meh: I don't have a lot of good bass dealers around here (louisville KY) - mostly every store is cheaper fenders and squiers. I know guitar emporium has a few though.

Still, any clips? anyone? :hyper:

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I bought one to help with the massive weight of my Warwick Corvette. Simply put.... they're amazing. I can play that bass for hours now with no shoulder pain, whereas previously I could only go for about an hour before my shoulder started hurting.

6. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    awesome! how much about?

7. Yes, for a 34" scale, they are very tight and focused. I am a little biased when it comes to that, because my B is 37". I have played only a few 34" scale 5 strings that had a B string that I liked. Most have been floppy and muddy sounding IMO.

If you are wanting to buy a new instrument, just make sure you get one from a store that has a good return policy in case you dont like it.

The Fender neoprene bass strap runs about 25-30 bucks and it is worth every penny.

8. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    IMO, the tone of my SR5 isn't what I'd call "clear" (except for the parallel setting, which is perfect for slapping); rather, it's a very midrange-heavy sound (almost nasal) which really helps it cut through in a mix, both live and recorded. :bassist:

Playability-wise, it's great! Nice narrow string spacing which helps me and my "sausage fingers", and +1 on the feel/sound of the B string! :D

Lately however, I'm preferring the sound of my 4-string Jazz Bass, so now that's gotten me thinking about 5-string Jazz's (Fender's, Lakland JO's)... maybe one of those would sound "clearer" than my SR5. :confused:

Then again, maybe not. :p

9. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Although Flea did use that dark blue Five string on BloodSugarSexMagic he most likely played a Wal Custom on "Under the bridge" in the "Funky monks" rockumentary (which was about the recording of BloodSugarSexMagic) he can be seen using that Wal all of the time.

But that doesn't mean that he didn't play the Musicman. He played his Musicman on songs like "Funky monks" and "Righteous and the wicked" where he makes good use of the Low B string. The Stingray 5 has a three way selector switch with which you can get some tonal options from the Humbucker: Series, paralel and out of phase. Flea most certainly has used the paralel setting of his bass since the resulting sound doesn't have the toppiness that's so typical of a Stingray. It sounds more like a Five string P bass.

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I bought my SR-5 from BassCentral a couple of years ago, they cut some good deals IMO. :cool:

Too bad you don't trust ebay. When I can get my friend to take some pics of my SR-5, I'm posting it.

-Art

11. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Ah, on the contrary - if I were familiar with someone from TB selling their bass on ebay I would certainly buy it! :cool:

The main thing I worry about ebay-wise is the neck. shipping can have its way with the bass if not packaged properly, ya know.