1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The bass version of "I was in the pool!!!"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I took my recently modded Squier Telecaster to a benefit gig. I was excited to have the chance to show it off. I took my rig but was offered the use of a Markbass 102P. I had to leave immediately after our set and using his amp would help me get out the door faster.

Since it wasn't my amp I didn't make any changes to his settings. His tastes and mine are very different. My tone was bland and muddy. The band's guitarist walked up and said "That one doesn't sound nearly as good as your other one, sounds kinda thonky. Looks cool though." The Markbass owner was with us and I really didn't want to sound like I was disrespecting his amp.

I used the Squier at a gig yesterday (different band/my rig) and it killed. Tons of bottom (with lows being boosted.) I was really happy with it's full bodied tone. I wonder if the first impression will affect my guitarist's opinion and he will forever think it's "thonky?"
    Telecaster2.jpg

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nah. Once you play it with your rig, he will forever think Markbass rigs are "thonky".
    :D

Tbone76 and Stinsok like this.
  3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My rule is the same as Polonius', "Neither a borrower nor a lender be."

4. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2009
    N.H.
    wait, what? Squier has a telecaster bass? Since when? What did you do with it?

ONYX likes this.
  5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Squier made a couple of different versions of the Telecaster. This particular bass had a 3 way switch that had a "Tic-Toc" setting, a simulated upright setting and a normal setting. I ditched the switch in favor of a regular P-bass harness. The pickup was swapped to an SD SCPB-3.

6. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    The only person I listen to about my tone is the drummer. If he says he can hear it really well- better groove, happier drummer, better music.

RandM, Tbone76, MEKer and 2 others like this.
  7. So..."tone shrinkage"?

smeet likes this.
  8. A good bit of that may have been the Markbass amp. Those amps are my nemesis - I've never been able to pull a good tone out of them.

The Bass Clef and UNICORN BASS like this.
  9. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    'Thonky' is a wonderful word, isn't it?

10. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I agree with Treadstone71 but Micheal League seems to do alright.

Treadstone71 likes this.
  11. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thonky.

Oddly likes this.
  12. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Yeah Squier all day!!

bigtone23 likes this.
  13. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Thonky Squier for the win!

14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    The dolt keeps the thonk.

15. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2009
    N.H.
    play that thonky music, white boy

bolophonic, lowdownthump and bholder like this.
  16. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Think, thank, thonk?

lowdownthump likes this.
  17. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It was 100 percent the Markbass. I should have stuck with my own gear.

18. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    "Significant shrinkage!!"

Old Blastard and lowdownthump like this.
  19. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

What is the I was in the pool version of I was in the pool? Never heard the reference.

20. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Same here. I played a festival over the weekend and they had a Markbass LMIII as backline with an Ampeg Classic 4x10 cab (which I’ve always got along fine with those cabs), and my tone was not good. Couldn’t hear my D or G strings the whole (1:45) damn set. Kept turning up the mids and turning down the bass as the set went on and still couldn’t seem to cut thru.

And Joe Dart! I don’t know how they get good tone with them, but they do. I played a passive Jazz like Dart too, and just could not make it work for me. I’ll stick with my Aguilar TH500 and Ampeg V4B.