1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Bass You’ve Had for Decades But Never Modded

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OldFenderPlayer, Apr 12, 2021.

1. What bass have you owned for decades and never made modifications to? Extra points if it still has the factory strings! Here is my stock 1987 Music Man Stringray Bass, purchased 34 years ago this month, in April 1987, from the Pied Piper Music Store in Huntington, West Virginia for $700 plus $100 for the hard shell case.

Attached Files:

2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I have basses from the 70's that even the pickguard has never been removed. None with original strings, however! :D

3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Don't think I've ever owned such an animal.

jymyben, avi, JRA and 2 others like this.
  4. Not long after I bought the String Ray, a beer got spilled on it and air bubbles appeared under the clear pickguard. Instead of letting time take care of it, I removed it and cleaned the body. I over-tweaked a few of the screws when reinstalling, resulting in small cracks around a few of the holes. Not a smart move on my part.

5. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    My 90's Warwick 5 string, my 90's Hamer Cruise 5 string and my almost 20 year old Gibson LPB 4 string. Not a single mod made to any of them. Only changes have been strings and a couple of barrel jacks on the Warwick.

OldFenderPlayer likes this.
  6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    1986 Steinberger XL2.
    2001/2 Ashton AB1505.

7. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I still have a 1982 G&L L-1000 that I bought new and the only thing that has changed is the strings.

Datsgor, One Way, dusterdan70 and 2 others like this.
  8. Lowbrow

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Reminds me of a funny story: my buddy painted over his '61 Precision bass with glossy black house paint (right over existing finish) and didn't even remove the pickguard when doing so.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My "minty" early '60s Silvertone Model 1444 by Danelectro.

10. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    The majority of my instruments are stock other than non factory strings. I have removed the pickgaurds from my Les Paul guitar and my F type mandolin because they get in my way

11. AA64AC79-C885-45B0-AA41-49D575D68F43.jpeg
    I have that same type of bass - a 1967 Precision purchased a few years ago. Someone refinished it without removing the neck, pick guard or bridge. This photo was taken by the previous owner.

LowActionHero, P. Aaron and Lowbrow like this.
  12. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

I've modded every bass I've ever owned. Some as little as swapping a control knob or pickguard; some as much as swapping pickups, bridge, and tuners; and everything in between. I guess I just have a need to personalize all my basses to some extent. Apparently, I can't just leave well enough alone.

13. Lowbrow

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Here's the one I'm talking about - stripped, carved along the grain lines, then shellacked ... my buddy painted over that with the house paint. It wore in a very interesting way. He abandoned it in a closet when he moved out of our apartment, and I took ownership for something like 15 years before he resurfaced and reclaimed!
    pbass.jpeg

14. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

My Alembic

15. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    My 1994 Stingray and my 2000 Stingray 5, both purchased new and still all original. Not the original strings though!

16. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    I get never modding a bass, but never changing the factory strings for decades!? Unless it came strung with flats, that would be a rare bird indeed.

OldFenderPlayer and soonercub85 like this.
  17. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    My 1989 Mark King Deluxe 5 Alembic. Purchased 1995
    I guess I could send it back for a 2K Led upgrade.

18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I don't mind posting this same old bass again! 1988 EBMM Sabre. The battery has been changed. The strings have been changed, sometimes obsessively, countless times. That's it. Derek St. Holmes was the salesperson who wrote up this sale!

Even the squishy bridge mute foam is original. The foam under the G actually expanded somehow so I trimmed it back. The dent above the control plate is from a cymbal stand incident at CBGB!

One other bass I have that old with zero mods is this stupid Kramer Ferrington (89) that is a total pile of junk but I love it for ALL the wrong reasons. Finally put LaBella tapes on it but pictured with those crappy bronze strings. Enjoy, gimme a hair shake if you feel it! Can't you picture some dork with long hair and pink pants and black boots with a tuxedo shirt half buttoned singing Dead Flowers unplugged, sitting on a bar stool? God only knows what kinda necklace I had on! Probably wearing sun glasses. Heck yeah! It's as big as a car!

I'm original owner of these. I have the receipts too.
    upload_2021-4-12_15-56-56.png
    upload_2021-4-12_16-2-19.png

19. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I gig. I don't collect. Owning a bass for "decades" and "never modded" are contradictions in terms to me. I even put a push-pull in the circuit of the neck pickup in my Rickenbacker 4002 to have the inline capacitor in or out.

20. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    08E863D0-F656-4B94-AFBB-8DBB82A46471.jpeg
    1981. Bought in Lodon in 1998. I’m tempted to change the p/U switch to a blend. But it remains unmodded.

OldFenderPlayer, MAXSPINRUN and Abner like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021