The bass you hardly play but love to look at..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FishDub, May 8, 2021.

1. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Same. Sold within hours of hitting the internet.

petrus61 likes this.
  2. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    No basses, but I bought a Gretsch 6120 Eddie Cochran when I was playing a lot of Rockabilly. I rarely play it, but every time I get ready to sell it, I just can't part with it.

Gretsch EC.jpg

3. Tune Bass Maniac.JPG
    Sadly, this never gets played.

Attached Files:

osv, petrus61 and FishDub like this.
  4. skygzr

skygzr

Feb 23, 2015
    Southeast US
    I played a 4003 for about ten years back in the 80s. Loved it but after a while I moved on. About five years ago I got one of the S models with the single mono output. It was beautiful but I just never bonded with it. Sold it on eBay for what I paid for it new.

FishDub likes this.
  5. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    It's turning out to be my Jaco jazz bass. I love it when I do play it, but most of the time I"m playing the L2000 or the Tony Franklin.

It think it's because the Tony Franklin already covers all the bases that the Jaco does. There isn't really anything the Jaco can do that the TF can't do. But it's lovely and very well built.

L
    IMG_0367.JPG

6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    two fingers likes this.
  7. Cme exclusive squier bronco PSX_20201219_164134.jpg

petrus61 and FishDub like this.
  8. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I am unfamiliar with these circumstances. I’ll play any of my basses anywhere, anytime.

FishDub likes this.
  9. craig0316

craig0316 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2017
    me n jazz.jpg me n jazz.jpg

Love the way it looks, but I find myself reaching for my P or SR

teh-slb and FishDub like this.
  10. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    Hah! sorry no pic, but very similar to yours, a schecter Stiletto elite, Beautiful trans redfinish With quilt maple top! it looks like amillion bucks, but its a neck through, so I believe thats why it has a very Chunky neck, Bat thick! like holding an apple while playing!I've injured myself playing it for long periods of time, So I veer severely away from it when I wanna play! although it is very ergonomic otherwise. with that unwieldy neck, So sadly it is hidden away in deep storage (ergo : no pics) until I need its tone or I grow bigger hands! :)

FishDub likes this.
  11. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    petrus61 and teh-slb like this.
  12. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    My Karl Hoyt 4 string. It’s actually my favorite bass guitar ever, but the 60’s band I was playing with preferred the aesthetics of my P-bass or my Jazz, and all of the gigs that are starting to trickle in now for me are on upright bass. 549DFF2B-12F8-4A06-BFB6-E79343193CB1.jpeg

Bajo Clarkko, osv, petrus61 and 3 others like this.
  13. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    You know basses have feelings right? They like being stared at even if they are not played... Just sayin!!! :cool:

FishDub and JRA like this.
  14. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Well, “brown poo like extrusion” never came to mind for me or the dozens of people who have told me how much they like the extended strap buttons I make and have asked to buy them, so I guess it’s an ‘eye of the beholder’ thing. My approach is definitely functionalist, so the aesthetics weren’t really an issue when I made them, but if I happen to come across a cool metal Rook someday I will drill it for a screw post and give it I try. If it happens, I’ll post a pic and credit you for the idea. :thumbsup:

FishDub and JRA like this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

like some chicks we know, right!? :laugh:

HardNHeavy, FishDub and FrenchBassQC like this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

those are actually nice! i used plumbing-brass fittings/nipples: they work but are not as elegant as yours! nice job! :thumbsup:

Cutter8 likes this.
  17. Criswell60

Criswell60

Apr 7, 2020
    My 60s Eko Florentine.
    Eko Front.jpg

Eko Back.jpg

It's a nifty throwback: cheap medium scale hollowbody from Italy, that was available from catalogues, back in the day. Bought it in the Noughties as a backup bass to my Ric 4001 / P bass.

Clearly made in the style of a Hofner Violin bass... and sounds very much like one! Currently strung with flats and going 'au naturale', with no pickguard. It was great as a backup (tiny! SO light!!) and sounded wonderfully 'thumpy' when my band was doing 60s cover songs. Being completely hollow, it's loud enough to play "acoustically" for sitting in with mates...

BUT: currently performing psych / prog rock (not really got the grunty tones of my P or Ric 4001) and it needs a HUGE amount of compression to play normally, so no practical use for now... but sounds so much of its time and (while can't be seen in the photo) has a lovely flame to the back. Secretly hoping one of my children will gravitate towards it, to learn on...

petrus61, RSey716, FishDub and 2 others like this.
  18. I have an emerald flow... doesnt fit into my americanna gigs

19. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Pretty much anything from guitar center.
    upload_2021-5-9_11-1-11.jpeg

Jefenator and teh-slb like this.
  20. RSey716

RSey716 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Panhandle of Florida
    This joker right here. We have had a tough time bonding. A very fine German made bass but we just haven't seen eye to eye much. Now I do have its sister in a German made Corvette Standard Nirvana Black Satin that gets a lot more attention.
    tempImageXvQTPo.png

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021