The bass you pick up to play the most and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by L. L. Elwood, Jan 27, 2022.

1. L. L. Elwood

L. L. Elwood Gold Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Colorado
    I have a few basses and have had quite a few over the years.. But it seems that my go to bass as of late for practicing, writing, and just all around enjoyment is my 1982 G&L L1000. The tone! Solo or in a mix seems to be that vintage thump with a modern edge that just does it for me! What bass do you find yourself favoring these days and why? (If you have a picture let's see those beauties.)

20211211_135528.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    douglasbass, brocco, SJan3 and 38 others like this.
  2. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I have about 21 basses (a collection). The bass I pick up the most to play and why? Probably a 1970 Telecaster Bass body (SCPB) with a real deal 1953 P Bass neck. Why? It weighs 7 lbs 15 oz, so it is comfortable. Has a Fralin SCPB pickup which sounds really good. The bass looks cool and that makes me feel cool too.

As for easiest to play, I have a 1987 Carvin LB90 (20 fret). It is full 34" scale but the 1 and 5/8" nut stays fairly narrow down to #20. So, it is easy to play and has a J Bass type of sound + about 15% more heft. Nice bass. I can play faster on it than any other bass.

DSCF9479.JPG DSCF8202.JPG

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    The one with freshest strings typically

_Obra_, Spidey2112, EagleMoon and 6 others like this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Ironically -- or perhaps, idiotically -- the bass I pick up to play the most is my least favorite bass!

It's this Warmoth P Bass
    P-Bass.jpg

I keep it out on a wall-hanger in my studio so I can grab it at a moments' notice, and since it is strung up with flatwounds I don't have to worry about the strings going dead, so I never even wipe it down after use, just play it hard and put it away wet... but a P Bass with flatwounds is so not "my sound" so I would never use this bass on a gig (unless a producer specifically asked for that sound...which has happened maybe once in my life) and tbh every time I play it I'm reminded of why a P Bass with flatwounds is so not "my sound".

Honestly I'd probably sell this bass if someone made the right offer. But they haven't, so instead I leave it out and grab it whenever the mood strikes me.

The basses that I actually like live in their cases and only come out when I think "okay, time to get to work"

5. L. L. Elwood

Jan 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Cool. Love that vintage carvin!

leftybass54, Rezdog and WillyW like this.
  6. L. L. Elwood

Jan 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Interesting.

Raulplaysbass likes this.
  7. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    I switch daily and sometimes hourly, but these are my heaviest rotation.

all one trick ponies

18-EFB4-EA-C426-4257-B589-332-C15584-E97.jpg

8. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Desert, Colorado
    Since I got demoted to the shop, my number one has been staying in the house, and the beater lives in the shop DA6A2C6D-DD08-4B45-B509-631FB040EE72.jpeg

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    For the past few months, this one...and I own two USA L2000s, a Reverend Thundergun and a Bacchus Woodline WL4-FM.
    Pics-Art-12-29-05-24-42.jpg
    Why?
    Because it plays and sounds even better than it looks!

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

most of the time: i have a few on the wall and a couple in gigbags, but i always have 2-3 right beside me as i 'compute'. i can swivel a bit and pick one up to play (which i do regularly). most of the time the bass would be one of these:
    front and back copy.png J copy.png red P copy.png

why? because they are there! :D or: location, location, location!

11. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I usually pick up my 1994 Fender MB-5 the most as it's the most comfortable bass I own. I've had it since it was new, and it's just "the" bass for me.

ElBecko59 and ajkula66 like this.
  12. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    These 2. The StingRay has flats and the Sandberg has rounds. Both are the best I’ve ever owned and feel and sound perfect . My PBass does get played at least once or twice a week.
    My Jazz bass , maybe once per month.

E510F8E9-8503-4029-B94D-A5F460AF20C3.jpeg
    863EEE6E-5F62-49C6-AD29-8BA73D0F25A9.jpeg

Miles_ONeal, _Obra_, TrevorG and 18 others like this.
  13. L. L. Elwood

Jan 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Love the fretless preference!

JRA and WI Short Scaler like this.
  14. Trabeen

Trabeen Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Idaho
    My Benavente, this thing has some serious cheese.

53811575-A69B-4D18-8ED2-18D6EB14328F.jpeg

15. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    There is no "one" for me - it really depends on which projects are more active in a given week. The P, J, active 5 and flat wound 6-string typically get more rotation while the ABG, hollowbody and fretless are less often deployed.
    Ideally the gig scene will eventually come back in such a way that every axe in my stable gets its fair share of practice, rehearsal & stage time. :bassist:

16. mikecd1

mikecd1

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Last couple of years its been my Mustang, but my Peaveys and Hoffy still get good playing time. The Mustang has been great on gigs and is saving my old wrists though playing out not so much during the pandemic.

17. Dynomuttasaurus

Dynomuttasaurus

Jul 23, 2016
    Milwaukee
    Whatever bass finds it's way to the stand next to my ad-hoc, at-home work desk (which is jammed into a storage room in the basement). Sometimes you need a break from work to jam.

At the moment, the "work" bass is an Aria Pro II RSB-1500M
    Aria RSB1500M_4.jpg

RPRWC, rutabaga bob, TrevorG and 7 others like this.
  18. I only own 3 basses so choices are pretty limited.

But my go to, take it to my grave, favorite is my heavily modded '78 Musicmaster. It's been my workhorse since the first time I made it playable after I got it free in dreadful condition. It's been blue, had multiple pickguards that featured my kids and for years now has sported my son's airbrush/high school art project paint job. I had to slim the neck down to a Bronco to accomodate the old sore arthritic hands but it's still my #1.

As for the why? It was the first SS I ever saw at that time and was hooked. The changes have improved it to a good tone and I personally love the aesthetics.

me 2021.jpg
    c

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  19. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    I’d say my ‘93 LB-100 gets played the most. It’s got a few dings already, so I’m not afraid to leave it sitting out as opposed to in the case, and the neck is super comfy. I’m more inclined to take my L-1000 or L-2000 out to gig or jam, but I’m doing that so infrequently these days that those basses aren’t getting a lot of mileage.

DCBF2820-05D0-4AF8-BB22-E31F04CE5321.jpeg

lildrgn, douglasbass, SJan3 and 19 others like this.
  20. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist: Nordstrand Audio, Tsunami Cables

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Probably the Alien Audio Lunar 5. I've barely had to touch the action/setup since I got it here on TB a couple years ago, and it just feels and sounds so solid. The 2Tek bridge is really rad, and the Mo West preamp is insanely versatile w/ onboard overdrive, passive tone, vintage/modern switching, and 3-band EQ. And it's lighter than my L2500 Tribute (also a fantastic bass).

I did recently acquire a Stingray Special 5HH, and once I finish giving it a setup (possibly including a shim) it might give the Alien a run for its money. It's a beautiful specimen of a bass - signature 'Ray tone with added versatility of 2nd pickup.

IMG-0868.jpg
    Stingray Special 5HH.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022