The Bass You Were Supposed to Mod But Didn't (Because it was so good!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hardbassjunkie, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Hi everyone!

This is just a fun post! I am curious if anyone else had this experience and if so, with what bass. Over a year ago, I purchased a mint condition Squier Jaguar PJ Active bass for $300 CAD ($240 usd). My intention was to use it has a modding platform because I love the Jaguar body shape and they did a really good job with the finish of these basses in my opinion.

I thought the preamp sounded nice but was having trouble mixing it with pedals so I watched a Youtube video on how to bypass the preamp and now I have passive bass! I have to say, I love this bass, in the last year, I've probably played this bass more than any other, the neck is just great!

With that being said, the modding never happened. I planned on changing the neck, couldn't bring myself to spend the money to do it. I planned to change the pick ups, these pickups sound just fine. Planned to change the tuners and the bridge, again sustain is good and the bass stays in tune.

My plan was to use this bass as a way to practice doing modifications but learned that there was nothing I wanted to change about the bass enough to justify the price I would have to pay.

The only instance where I can see myself going through with the mods is if a pair of PJ pickups showed up online for a price I couldn't refuse (this happens a lot less these days). Otherwise, why fix something that isn't broken? Who's to say that if I changed the neck into a high end one that I would end up liking it better?

Anyways, just wanted to share that and brag a bit about how awesome this bass is! We were truly spoiled by the vintage modified and classic vibe lines 5-10 years ago. The ones nowadays are just as good but almost double the price (in Canada).

20200421_072946.jpg

2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Carvin BB75. Always heard that Carvin electronics were "weak" but I wanted the BB75 so bought one with the idea of electronics swapping. Then I heard it....wouldn't touch a thing on it.
    Also, lot's of people swap out the CIJ Jaguar's guts. I find them just fine for what I do.

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    One of the best Squiers made...didn't know it was that good while waiting for it to arrive...so I thought I'd do a pickup mod.
    Turned out to be totally unnecessary.
    squier-classic-vibe-jazz-ba-2-3n5hte-H-jpg-maxheight-500-maxwidth-500-cf-3.jpg

4. 07 Squier Affinity Jazz V.
    Got it way cheap and thought I would keep the nice neck and alder body and change the rest.
    After 12 years I have added a custom thumb rest and Kallium strings. :thumbsup:

el jeffe bass and spatters like this.
  5. spatters

spatters

Mar 25, 2002
    Glarry GIB 5 string. Best $122 (shipped) I've ever spent. I was going to mod it, but I like the sound so much that I just filed the nut, adjusted the bridge, and play it!

Longer description: Official Exquisite/Glarry/Burning Fire Bass Club?

gib5_1.jpg

Fialka likes this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    85C75E88-7509-42D5-9A6E-A5CDA81808B0.jpeg
    Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Pbass.

el jeffe bass, Fialka and C Stone like this.
  7. lowdownthump likes this.
  8. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Music Man Stingray.

9. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    My Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazz.
    image.jpeg

10. Bought this one which I fully expected to mod.

It was £78 when new in 2014. Remains stock to this day, the "cheap" tuners work, "cheap" bridge does it's job perfectly. "cheap" pots/cap and jack socket work flawlessly. "cheap" Wilkinson pickup holds it's own against the other single coils I own.

7 years and 1000's of hours play, never needed to touch the TR.

Benton.JPG

I did change the D'Addario strings for TI Jazz flats, can hardly call that a mod :laugh:

Fialka and Ricky Rioli like this.
  11. Used LTD B15 I picked up for $100 just to have a fiver again. Never expected it to leave the house without some major mods but after a quick setup, fret leveling and nut filing, I couldn't believe how much I liked it. It got taken out the next weekend and nobody questioned why I brought a cheap beginner bass. I'll probably replace the mini pots with full size ones at some point but aside from that, I expect to pretty much leave it alone. 20210210_195338.jpg

Fialka likes this.
  12. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I bought a Lakland 55-01 with the intention of modding the pickups and preamp, cos everyone seems to do that. Then I discovered that I quite liked the stock electrics, but didn't gig the bass as it was way too heavy for my back. I was disappointed because it sounded great, felt very good to play and was the cheapest bass I've bought in the last 30 years!!

13. Hello everybody. I've been lurking around here for a while, but mostly hang out in amps and cabs. In 2010 I bought a Skyline JO for my son and it's been magic. He has no interest in playing anything else. I've thought about doing some upgrades but it's so well done there's really nothing that could make it better. A corner of the original nut broke off a while back so I had a local luthier make a new one from an Ivory Tusq blank.

I had to adjust the truss rod a tiny bit after changing to GHS brite flats. That's been it. Rock solid.

From time to time we go and demo some of the latest and greatest with big fat price tags, but his comment about them is "It's alright, but it's not my Lakland". He really likes Dingwalls, however...

Best $1100 CDN I've ever spent.

14. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    None of em.
    I've only ever modded one bass and that was enough to teach me not to waste any time or money on modding perfectly good basses again.

I put a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder in the neck PU position in my 70's jazz bass back when I was in college. It was $75 (IIRC) and an afternoon's work to make it sound exactly the same as it did before the $75 and afternoon's work.

I've never felt the need to mod a bass since then. I mainly just try to get basses that play and sound good from the start instead.

L

kodiakblair and el jeffe bass like this.
  15. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    0B813FAA-3EDE-4F99-9D0B-FCE58AA48B7F.jpeg Squire Jag short scale. I had intentions of changing the tuners, pickups, electronics and pickgaurd. I ended up putting GHS flats on it and stuffing a piece of foam under the strings. Not a bad bass for practice or when I just prefer a shorty.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021