Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The bass you've been pining for, great price, horrible colour

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by um... yeah, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Have any of you experienced this? You find that boutique bass you've been pining for at a great price, but, the colour makes you yack. No wonder it's a good deal. :rolleyes:

2. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Have it painted?

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    If you love everything except the color, and can't find it for that price anywhere else..... Hmm, buy it and have it painted for the difference. Or just let the color grow on you =]

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I can get over the color REAL easy if I'm saving big bucks. Sometimes I can even grow to like it.

I buy most of my gear used so I seldom have a choice on color.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I completely agree now.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    :eek:

Good God that is...hmmm, what words would describe it? Like nuclear baby puke?

Get it. Paint it.

7. Man, I actually dig the seafoamish colors. Seafoam and black are a killer combo, IMO.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That MTD looks pretty good to me. Remember, music is for listening, not looking.

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, however that is only one part of it. It's also for playing and you have to play something. Something other than that color.

10. Yeah. This bass must have been one of Mike's early attempts at attracting that all elusive hair metal band demographic. The photo looks so enticing in a way, the bass looks mint, but Jaaayzus!

11. yes...price always beats color for me

12. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

Move to Florida and it'll fit right in! That is a sweet bass though. I think its one of those things that may grow on you as someone else said. My initial reaction though is whoa!!

13. heh, that was the 1st bass that came to my head when I read the opening post :p

I say get it and then refin

14. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I debated about buying my Modulus Flea because it was black and I've never really been into black basses. I bought it anyway, and the color has grown on me because of how much I like the bass for its playability and tone. The color will grow on you if you like a bass enough.... trust me! :D

15. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'd only buy it if it came in a Coral Pink case... :eek: :ninja:

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think it actually looks nicer than alot of the exotic tops I see these days. I wouldn't let the color stop me if I wanted the bass.

17. It does look nice. But nice in your bedroom and nice on stage are two different things. Maybe I'll buy it and start a Wham! tribute band er sumpthin'.

18. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    not as bad as i thought it would be,
    like yellow with red dots or something..

I actually like the colour!

19. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I know how you feel. I've looked at a couple of basses over the years, and even though I loved the bass, I couldn't get past the color. I never bought them and have never regretted it. It may be vain, but the color/look is almost as important to me as the sound/feel. Sometimes I pull my basses out just to look at them...it's almost a calming affect on me. I can't imagine wanting to get this calming affect and I open my case to a bass that looks like a Tums tablet. Just my o so humble opinion.