Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Bassist in Jean-Luc Ponty

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Petary791, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Who is this man? He's heavenly! My dad just introduced me to Jean-Luc Ponty and the bassist's lines and tone is amazing!

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Which one?
    Ralphe Armstrong played on some albums, as did Tom Fowler and Baron Browne. These are the main three that I'm aware of, and they're all great.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Ralphe Armstrong was my favorite. When I saw JLP live in 1980 or '81 Randy Jackson (of American Idol) was his bass player, and he was smokin' that night. I don't know if Randy played on any of JLP's recordings though.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The 2 CD's I have are No Absolute Time and Le Voyage--Anthology." Not sure if it'st he same bassist on both albums.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well on this No Absolute Time CD, it says the bassist is Guy Nsangue. Interesting.

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I would have to say all of the musicians on his recordings I have heard are WORLD CLASS . I love his stuff and am amazed at the level of performance by all the musicians

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ther'a Narada Michael Walden album called The Real Thing from the late '70s...Randy Jackson is lighting it up on a couple of those tunes(which, at the time, was considered danceable/Top-40).

I recall seeing/reading about Ralphe Armstrong in a '70s Guitar Player mag...IIRC, he was 19 when he played with Ponty; he was playing a Fender Jazz with a fretless P-neck. He also used a Maestro Brass Master pedal/effect.
    You can catch a glimpse of Armstrong & Nathan Watts talking about Jamerson & "What's Going On" + Bob Babbitt & "Scorpio" in the SITSOM DVD.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    No Absolute Time is from 92 or 93 and that was around the time Baron Brown was easing out and Guy Nsangue had come in to do some recordings with JLPonty.
    LeVoyage-Anthology covers recordings from 75-85 and in that period the great Ralph Armstrong,Tom Fowler and Baron Browne were the main Bass players.

I think Ralph Armstrong made just about every Bass player that heard him,want to run out and get a Gibson Bass,he made the Gibson basses that he played sound like a million dollars.he is one of the heavest groovers and one of the most tasteful effects user of ever.

9. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    "The Struggle of the Turtle to the Sea part III"

Ralphe is the man.

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Ponty always had great bassist in his bands! I have a live video when he had Keith Jones in the band, and Keith smokes on it. For some great Ponty/Armstrong action, pick up the live album from '79, Ralph does a couple nice solos on it, including one with the Brassmaster Jim mentioned. :bassist:

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    p.s. I also have a live DVD with Guy Nsangue on bass, he has a interesting slap style.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Ralphe's grooves are deep!

Baron Browne is amazing... I used to see him every tuesday for a while with Bruce Bartlett. Smoking bassist!

13. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Ralphe Armstrong is da bomb! Enigmatic Ocean is still one of my favorite recordings of all time. I still have it on vinyl (am I dating myself???)

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ....that's allowed in Joisey?!

15. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Can't get to third base on the first date.........

16. I had the pleasure of seeing Ralphe with JLP a couple times back in the 70's. Besides being an awesome player, I was most impressed with the pure sense of joy in his playing... he was groovin' and killin' and laughing and smiling all the time.

17. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1 on Ralph Armstrong.

Guy Nsangue is his current bass player. I saw JLP open for Stanley Clarke a couple years ago and I enjoyed Guy's playing immensly. great slap and finger style, very groovy, tasteful and very much in the pocket. I've been listening to Stanley Clarke for a long time and I thought his performance was rather boring compared to JLP's band. Guy just anchored the whole bands sound.

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Petary, Ralphe is not only a great guy, I've met him a couple of times, He's local, He's a motown guy from way back. He turns up at Bakers (keyboard lounge) usually a few times a year and he seems to play the Jazz fest a few times too. Jauqco was right, great grooves, a Les Paul bass (which looks tiny on him) and a great attitude. And he has a monster "chops" if you can coax them out of him, a true master of the instrument.

19. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    He played Gibsons? I was a fan of his when he played with Mahavishnu on Apocalypse. That tone sounded like Fender to me. Whatever he was playing, I liked what he played.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

even during that time he played Gibsons.