1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The bassist in this band is touring all over the world with a $100 Chinese SX bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Campbell, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    A Facebook friend of mine discovered this band recently and posted it - I think he's a big fan of KEXP, lots of great indie music on there. Since then I've been listening HEAVILY - to this three piece band from Houston who call themselves Khruangbin - I looked at the band's Facebook page, they have literally been touring around the world non-stop... and the bassist is using a cheapo SX Jazz BAss copy, and it sounds great!

I highly recommend checking these guys out - I always seem to arrive at the party late, they came through the west coast of Canada (Vancouver) in mid-November.

CEJ, Mr_Moo, Pet Sounds and 27 others like this.
  2. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    It’s all in the fingers.

admh1972, seang15, Buhgingi and 15 others like this.
  3. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    Well no doubt there will be a perception that a $100 bass could never hold up to the rigours of touring.

leonard, mbell75 and rtav like this.
  4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Not gonna lie... if I was in a heavily touring situation where most of the cost for touring purposes came from my own pocket, you better believe my Fodera would be staying home and a cheap bass would be my touring axe.

5. bearfoot

bearfoot SUSPENDED

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Stock pickups? Even if they are, I'm sure they are sufficient. But I would not be surprised if he dropped some aftermarket pickups in.

Garret Graves likes this.
  6. getbent

getbent

Aug 20, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    I can't view it from work for some reason, but check out their Rig Rundown video on YouTube, she talks at length about that bass and how she sets it up

7. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    so hipster of them - the only reason she is rockin' that is to be ironic

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Amano, J_Bass, Admiral Akbar and 5 others like this.
  8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Perhaps related to the perception that $5-10K basses never leave the house...

9. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Starting at about 16:39 here:

10. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    Watching it right now - thanks for that... yes Mark put Dimarzios in Laura's bass for her.

Dan Jeffery likes this.
  11. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    They're a cool band, and I love Laura's bass playing. There are a number of other threads on them on TB if anyone wants to read more. Here's one: Laura Lee of Khruangbin

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Based on the SX basses I'm familiar with I have no doubt they'd be as suitable as any MIA Fender I'm familiar with as far as standing up to the rigors of touring. I've used an SX in the past when I didn't want to risk the more expensive instruments I had at the time and had no issues with the SX and I didn't even replace the pickups. I no longer have the more expensive instruments but I still have the SX.

Mr_Moo, Nunovsky, ROGI and 8 others like this.
  13. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    But the guitarist doesn't have an SX Strat like mine. How disappointing! :eyebrow:

abass3005 likes this.
  14. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

That’s great! I could never do that, but good for this person

FRoss6788 likes this.
  15. Yango

Yango

Apr 14, 2008
    Earth
    I gigged and recorded the crap out of my Ibanez RB850. I took a lot of flak because it wasn’t a Fender, but ultimately I didn’t care. It was a great bass.

SX has some cool stuff too.

PsyDocHill, Whippet, wraub and 2 others like this.
  16. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

Out of curiousity, why not?

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  17. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I still don't understand what make an instrument "giggable" or not.
    Does it suit the musician? Is it solidly built? What else?
    If you removed the SX decal and put on a Fender decal, is it suddenly "giggable"?

Mr_Moo, Kiril Basso, Kyuuga and 13 others like this.
  18. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Ive been gigging Squiers & SX's for 20+ years. Neither has ever let me down. I regularly get compliments on my playing & sound. The only people who care what name is on the headstock are some other musicians (not that many actually).

Mr_Moo, DJ Bebop, skaine and 4 others like this.
  19. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I don't understand the underselling SX. The new price is around $400+, isn't it? Not $100. They are made of alder or ash. I mean they are not bad basses. I think they are being confused with Burning Fire and Ammoon.

The funny part in that rig rundown is where they talk about except for the pickups, the foam, the strings, the tuners, the professional setup...it's all stock. I would also assume the nut has been replaced and when they changed out the pickups, all the pots got changed too. No knock on the bass at all. It is just like when you go to Cracker Barrel and get home made peach cobbler...really, what home was it made in?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  20. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    Not stock pickups. She has Dimarzios there. The backup bass is an hofner violin bass copy. These are the basses used in the studio aswell. Can anyone really listen to them and not enjoy that tone and groove?

Raw N Low and Joedog like this.