1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The bassist in this band is touring all over the world with a $100 Chinese SX bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Campbell, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I bought both EP’s shortly after someone posted their live Villain-Pitchfork concert and I’ve been dying to pick the brain of anyone else in the know about this; Is it just me or are the drums on “Con Todo el Mundo” leveled just a little too loudly? I have my car’s sound EQ’d so just about anything sounds good-to-great, but the snare just icepicks it’s way into my ears, keeping me from fully settling into the sonic “grooviness”. It’s so much so that I have to find a whole new EQ setting to enjoy the music of one, single album if I want to appreciate their whole performance without diminishing one or more instruments.

It should be mentioned I’m speaking as someone who’s more of a drummer than a bassist, someone who rails against the rhythm section getting submerged way down into the mix. But in this case, I can’t help but wonder if it’s just my ears or did they simply overdo one aspect of the mix? :unsure:

Sounds like an equitable trade! :thumbsup: :D

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Lived in Houston my whole life, yet never heard of them.

ajkula66 and Tvrtko like this.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    For those who don't understand how they are so popular just look at some of the responses in this thread about how some of the wives have reacted to this band.;):)

4. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

It's the disguises.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  5. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

Hmmmm, I'll have to think about that. I keep treble cut engaged on my iPod just as a matter of taste, but at home I tend to listen to everything flat through a pair of M-Audio BX8s. I can't say I noticed an overbearing snare.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have my old '63 P-bass with the strings installed on it in 1972. I admire those who play dead flats; love the sound! Nice that your strings held up through the re-installation.

That review reads like a lampoon of one of the hipster reviews on Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update.

jd56hawk likes this.
  7. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    For me I'd have to wonder about fit and finish. I wouldn't want to tour with fret sprouting etc.

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  8. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I get your point and agree, but actually one of the worst cases of fret sprout I’ve ever dealt with was on a Fender Custom Shop ‘64 Jazz! I think that’s as much (if not more) a product of the changing seasons and climate than the fit and finish. But I also wouldn’t want to tour with a totally stock cheapo bass either. But... upgrade the electronics and tuners with more reliable, better quality parts (which she did), and dress the fret ends one good time in the winter (at the driest time of the year, when the neck wood contracts as much as it will) and you can easily rock a cheapo bass around the world no problem.

My back up bass that gets banged around in a gig bag and left in hot cars half the year is a Squier VM Jazz body with a 20 year old MIM standard neck and some pickups/pots I raided from a Geddy Lee bass. I have <$200 into that thing and every time I bust it out, it always plays and sounds perfect! It even has the stock tuners (which are the same as the ones used on Squiers I believe), and they’ve always held tune all night.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  9. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Not the stock pickups. Premier guitar says her SX bass has DiMarzio, I’m pretty sure. And some flatwounds.

SX are amazing basses, stock, for what you pay. So with all the left over money you can mod it to something extraordinary (if one feels so inclined) and still walk away without a significant blow to your bank account

10. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    The only trouble for me is I can’t find many SX basses where I am here in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve only ever played one short scale p bass... and it was GOOD! I believe it was a vintage series, black, with a (imitation) tort pg. Beautiful looking, too! I have always had that bass in the back of my mind, contemplating getting one, just for the value! oh I was shocked, what a punch it had, it nearly sounded as good as some Mexican p basses I’ve heard.

11. Tvrtko likes this.
  12. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Tyler from Twenty One Pilots tours all over the world with a $179 Indonesian made Squier Jaguar. He plays way bigger stages in front of way more people than she does too. Mikey from My Chemical Romance tours the world on huge stages with his cheap, signature Squier Mustang bass. Both make tons of money doing it too. Obviously not about the name on the headstock or the cost of the instrument, it never is.

13. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Gee, how on earth did I miss yet another thread of people telling me what I should play, what I should spend, what I need, what I don’t need...

F055A1FD-F221-4859-A36B-ECE9DBDDDFB3.

Passinwind, JimmyM and ajkula66 like this.
  14. What's wrong with busting the myth that everyone needs a $1k+ USD instrument to tour?

I don't think anyone is trying to tell someone else what they must play, but there is definitely evidence out there as to what we might not need.

15. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

You must have seen the light! Or just flip flop a lot ;)

Tad likes this.
  16. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Nice you are stalking me on here, you work as a private detective or something? Just because I listed two examples doesn’t mean that it should be done, I’m saying it CAN be done and they are both clearly in the minority if you pay attention to touring bands at all. As I said in that thread, If cheap Squiers were meant to stand up to the rigors of touring for years and years, you would see a lot more of them out there on stages, but they aren’t and you don’t. Not saying that it can’t be done because obviously two bassists are, but it’s very rare to see. Anything else?

17. This is good. Thanks!

Khruangbin has a dub remix of their album coming out soon. I dig it.

I finally watched that rig rundown. Looks like it's time to cut up some sponges.

18. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Bull$£^t. If it comes up, someone is.

I have NEVER told anyone it’s ridiculous to play whatever the dollar point is on any given post of the day. Why can’t other folks return that same courtesy?

I play an almost $4000 bass. I worked like dog to earn the money for it. I’ll never apologize for it.

ajkula66 likes this.
  19. If you want to get bent out of shape over some artists using cheap gear to tour the Earth, that's your prerogative.
    I'm mildly amused by it.

timplog likes this.
  20. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Ooooo, I like that last one!