1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The bassist in this band is touring all over the world with a $100 Chinese SX bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Campbell, Apr 23, 2019.

1. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

I discovered these guys through YouTube autoplay. They embedded in my brain and I've since bought all their albums/EPs and a poster. Wife and I are seeing them in concert in June.

Wifey said we could grab a spot up close stage left, and in return I would take her to see Aquaman. Pretty good deal, I must say.

Their Rig Rundown is my favorite in its honesty, utility, and simplicity.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. Flacco

Flacco

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    You opened pandora's box dude

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I checked that out and noted that she uses flats which are at least 8 years old. Great choice!

4. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Great band. My dingwall sits next to my squier. Guess which one gets more recording time?

5. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    E024641D-30D5-419F-83FE-5CD86513F305. My only problem with SX basses is that there are barely any on the Rondo Music site!! :rollno::crying:

You have to buy used when you can find them.

I love my SX 6-string Jazz and I’ll never give her up!!!:D

6. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I don’t care what gear they use (it works). I don’t care about the look or the onstage attitude (actually it’s kind of fun).

I just think they sound pleasant but half-formed and not terribly interesting. Like demos for things that will eventually be actual songs. Laura’s playing sounds decent, but rudimentary. She knows her limits (a good thing), so she plays very simple lines, apparently with no deviation. There’s nothing wrong with that as a musical choice. But as a limitation, it’s not IMO a good thing.

“Doesn’t give a poopie about gear” - is that good? Who cares and why? I also get the impression she doesn’t give a poopie about learning or improving her playing. Maybe some of you think that’s a good thing too. To me, it contributes to their music being pretty, but dull.

The optimist in me sees a bit of early Talking Heads in them. But the Heads, despite starting out as non-musicians, had an undeniable spark of creativity and musical talent. Time will tell.

I don’t hate them. I actually like them in small doses. Congratulations to them on their success. But they sound like some of the bands my friends were in back in high school.

Afc70, ajkula66 and jd56hawk like this.
  7. Somnambulance

Somnambulance Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2014
    O P I N I O N S

Malak the Mad likes this.
  8. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    All I have to add is that she is out touring, making money while using an SX & I am still just sitting home practicing. Good for her

9. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    She must play well—or at least well enough.

10. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    I used to play my Squier Affinity a lot but after a certain amount of years the frets were all worn out and the truss rod was unadjustable. Chinese pot metal. I still have the body on a parts bass.

She plays flats and has upgraded tuning keys so I guess she doesn't have problems with cheap hardware crapping out.

The flats, the mute, DiMarzio Ultra Jazz neck pickup and Fender Bassman Ten definitely make a cool sound together!

11. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    You waited too long. There used to be dozens of SX basses on Rondo, all colors and configurations and even 6-10 short scale models alone. They were there for years. Must not have been selling and they pulled most of them.

12. Khruangbin play a strange mix of music ... people can like their music or not but I believe they are original in what they do .. a three piece combo like that will not last a lifetime but for the time being they are earning and enjoying a certain notoriety and I personally like the boomy sound of the dark lady playing the bass ... effective ! (I’m under the impression, however, that the particular bass she uses may be a boat anchor ...)

13. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    I've been hunting an SX Jazz since discovering this band about a year ago. I've got a body and neck inbound from TB classifieds, now to find some Ultra Jazz pickups.

I may actually get some Nordstrom Big Blades instead because, after all, 40% is how it looks.

bench likes this.
  14. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    It's a band - you either like the music, hate the music, or are somewhere in-between.

They have an aesthetic (both visual and aural) - you either like it, hate it, or are somewhere in-between.

Anyone who performs live has as aesthetic (both visual and aural) whether they consciously create it or not. You are a salesperson - ABC (always be closing). They are doing just that.

But the "gigging a cheap bass as a badge of honor" thing has always struck me as being a reaction to a perceived attitude ("you have to have expensive instruments to gig") that usually doesn't exist.

jim nolte, jd56hawk and smeet like this.
  15. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
  16. Fialka

Fialka

Jul 29, 2018
    I see, my wrong. Ive seen the rig rundown few months ago.

17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Mine are 35-years-old, but actually still relatively new...one year on my bass.

Pilgrim likes this.
  18. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
  19. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    upload_2019-4-24_13-22-41.

upload_2019-4-24_13-23-40.

Mushroo likes this.
  20. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Have to say, impressed with her after that rig rundown. Good head on her shoulders.

Pet Sounds and bench like this.