1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Bassists of THE NIGHTFLY (1982)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pdbass, Oct 19, 2020.

1. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    My love letter to one of my favorite albums.

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Nicely done!

I believe that Roger Nichols created "Wendel" And "Wendel II."

pdbass likes this.
  3. DCCat

DCCat

Jan 20, 2020
    Nice analysis. Thanks for that. This is one of my favorite albums, too, and you've deepened my appreciation for it.

pdbass likes this.
  4. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    Thanks a ton foe sharing. This has always been a top-3 album for me. Awesome.

pdbass likes this.
  5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Great job! Thanks for posting!

pdbass likes this.
  6. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Great video, nice work!

pdbass likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I always loved the title song because I thought Marcus Miller did a great Anthony Jackson impression.

pdbass likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love this video. I bet this guy is one cool teacher. Wow, this really brought back some memories for me.

pdbass and kobass like this.
  9. frustum

frustum Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2020
    Austin, TX, USA
    I found the pdbass channel when youtube recommended the video to me a few days ago. I enjoyed it a lot and since then have been watching a lot of the backlog. Then today I find that pdbass is a fellow talkbass-er. Great channel, Paul! I'm learning a lot even though I'm not a jazz guy.

Joshua and kobass like this.
  10. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Such a great album.
    New Frontier is my favorite.
    Just scrolling through the credits for the album is insane.
    Nothing but the absolute cream of the session world crop at every instrument.
    I could listen to The Nightfly and Aja on continuous loop just because the fidelity and playing is that good. I’m still amazed at how good these records still sound today.

11. Great piece of work man, makes me want to dive in to all those great songs and bass parts!

pdbass likes this.
  12. Kamakiriad would be really interesting to look at too although that’s mainly Becker playing bass I think.

pdbass likes this.
  13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Thank you @pdbass its a legendary album and wonderful to hear the breakdown.

Side note: as a fellow Midwesterner I enjoy finding out about great jazz musicians from our cities. Did you ever cross paths with Jimmy Ponder the guitarist? I believe he was active in Pittsburgh throughout the years

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. RNG1

RNG1 Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I watched this again last night, really nice job. I’ve played along with this years ago but this definitely makes me want to really break it down learn the whole album note for note. Thanks for posting it up!

pdbass likes this.
  15. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    OMG. Ponder was one of the masters that taught me how to play when I was coming up! Played many a gig with him. Definitely one of the GREATS.

markjazzbassist likes this.
  16. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Thank you for checking out my stuff--and thanks to everybody that's tuned in. This all started when Will Lee shared the video on FB the day after I posted it and then about 3 days later, SOMEHOW, the algorithm took over and the response has been incredible. I appreciate everybody watching and all the new subscribers and comments! I'll probably be going back a little jazz-friendly lesson post again this week, but I'm definitely planning on continuing the "From the Bottom" series with more of my favorite albums.

17. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Nice to see that YouTube is promoting and suggesting this video -- it came up yesterday and I very much enjoyed it. And I rarely watch videos all the way through. I've been showing my kids the Beato stuff here and there on the family TV.

The Nightfly is my favorite album, second only to David Crosby's "If I Could Only Remember My Name"

I will give it a renewed listen in headphones after your suggestion -- maybe my vinyl copies will better differentiate the Rhodes/Bass line doubling question you raised. Thanks for the video!

And KILLER playing, by the way.

pdbass and LBS-bass like this.
  18. Same here, but backwards. I saw the video posted here but didn't have time to watch it. Later it was recommended to me on YouTube. Really good stuff.

pdbass likes this.
  19. RNG1

RNG1 Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Are you taking requests if they align with being one of your favorites? If so,I’ve been obsessed for the last couple of months with the Dave Weckle Multiplicity album. Obviously a different genre (instrumental) but the playing and sounds on this album imo are just so good. Ric Fierabracci and Tom Kennedy split the bass duties and I think do an amazing job.

pdbass likes this.
  20. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    @pdbass Ah man, thank you so much for sharing this. This has been one of my favourite albums for a long, long time, I think I could continue to listen to it for decades and still hear new stuff in it. I used to play one or two of these songs in a covers act years ago, but your video makes me want to go back and learn all the songs again with a closer ear!
    Seriously...I had another look at the credits after watching this and only now just noticed that Valerie Simpson (R&B songwriting royalty) is all over this on BVs!

kobass and pdbass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021