Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "Bassists that I hate but everyone else loves" thread! YAHOO!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Starbucker, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Note to readers and posters: Don't make this a kind of "I hate him b/c he sucks" type of thread. Just post who you've tried to like but just can't, no matter how hard you try.

My bassist that I kind of like, yet don't, is Stu Hamm. I know he is a damn talented bass player and can do more than I'll probably ever be able to do, but the way he jumps around on stage like some kind of a fat gazelle bothers me. He's the Joe Satriani of the bass, in my book. Amazing player, but just has the tendency to, no pun intended, ham it up onstage.

Who do you find yourself disliking?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    JUSTIN from Tool... gawd is this cat overrated. He uses a whammy and all of a sudden he's a god. His lines are alright, but he is by no means as talented as everyone has made him out to be.

Furthermore, as I've said before, the constant pick scraping gives me a *#(#*)(@387(*&%#$(*&)*#&@()# MIGRANE! :hatred:

3. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I agree with both of the bassists you guys listed. I have one I can't stand, but I'd porbabaly be shot if I mentioned the name in this thread.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

*I bet it's Jaco* :ninja:

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I agree with the Stu Hamm comment upon thinking about it, he kinda slaugtered Moonlight Sonata. It just wasn't meant for bass, you know?

6. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Mark Hoppus - I would not use the word "hate", but I definetly do think he is the most over-rated bassist of our time. I just don't get what it is that people like about him so much...to each is own I guess.

Fieldy - Anytime my band suggests covering a Korn song, I cringe. He is not melodic at all and thats what I dislike most.

7. Claypool......

[​IMG]

8. Entwistle, Geddy, JPJ, Geezer, and Squire...hah!!!! Just kidding...they all rock!!!! :bassist:

Nah...for me it would be a toss up between Mike Dirnt and Fieldy. :scowl:

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If I might retort, I feel Mike Dirnt is the best POP punk bassist I've ever heard. Yes, I prefer him to Matt Freeman. Simple melodic basslines, and crunchy tone. He isn't very flashy, but that's totally fine with me. I'm of course refering to the pre American idiot material. All in all, I don't really like Green Day, but I like Dirnt.

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Vail Johnson.

11. Bass81

Bass81

Oct 25, 2003
    Not that I dislike the guy as a person but I agree with the above poster on Hoppus. He is like one of those "nice people" but I don't care for his bass playing or his sig bass.

12. Jason Newsted

13. You must have some sensitive ears, Cause I never hear any pick scraping, at all, ever, And I listen to Aenema and Lateralus constantly, I also Listen to the live Salival and hear nothing, but you are right about him not being ultra talented. I think him using the whammy is unique, And since he's the only one I know that uses one frequently(i think the dude from RadioHead doeas, but im not sure) and uses it well.

As for bassist I hate, Feildy, Hoppus, Dirnt, Newstead, Trujillio, Chris Wolstenholme, and(Im probably going to get shat on for this but, meh) Commerford.

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Flea

15. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Marcus Miller

16. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

Yes.

17. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Robert Trujillo (sp?)

Something about him just rubs me the wrong way.

18. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004

I.... I like tool though... what'd tool be without Justin?

for what he does, the guy is pretty pioneering. I won't say he's terrifically tallented as, say... i dunno someone at least marginally talented, but he's certainly not Hoppus by any stretch of the imagination. I mean come on: he's like the epitome of guitarist gone bassist cause he sucked so much...

I gotta say Claypool has me on the fence though... it's addictive listening to his riffs, and they grow on you, but unless i'm out to listen to something really odd and prepaired for it, i can't stand Primus at all.

19. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Victa?

20. No matter how much I try I just can't seem to like John Myung...I know he is crazy talented but his playing just seems so random and unmelodic when he does crazy runs...maybe I just don't like Dream Theatre I don't know. :confused:

Another bassist I can't stand is Jason Newstead and I know exactly why...when he plays stuff that Cliff wrote alot of times he will leave out stuff and make it way simple(fade to black, seek and destroy, call of ktulu just to name a few) I read in an interview that he can't even play the little solo in orion. :scowl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.