1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The "Bassists who don't clean their gear/basses" club....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blastbass, Mar 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. blastbass

blastbass Banned

Mar 8, 2016
    bombay
    Seriously can't be bothered unless it's really needed.

pacojas likes this.
  2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Agree

blastbass likes this.
  3. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    I only do it when I amb about to sell a piece of gear (I always sell things as clean as possible, although I suppose that the buyer will want to clean it again)

or when I finish a major mod in the bass (shielding, new pickups or such).

blastbass likes this.
  4. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    James Jamerson said it helped retain the funk, or something like that.

blastbass likes this.
  5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    people who clean their tools after every use need to be studied, imo. the OCD will kill you before the grime will.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    A club owner, who was an instrument collector (ie, he owned 15 basses and didn't gig), once gave me a microfiber cloth because he kept seeing me put my bass away without wiping it down after playing a 4 hour gig.
    It's still in my gig bag in the plastic bag it came in.

That said, I do wipe the strings down with a paper towel with some rubbing alcohol on it every 6 months or so if they start sounding dull.
    And I scrape off the green goop that builds up on the fretboard once every other year, or when I change strings, whichever comes first.

blastbass and pacojas like this.
  7. Guilty as charged sir. I do a basic clean when I change strings which is sometimes years in between. If I leave one out for an extended period of time I will dust if necessary. Also if some bev. gets splashed or spilled on them. I do wash my hands frequently before and don't sweat much so they don't get very dirty in the first place.

blastbass likes this.
  8. ESPweasel

ESPweasel

Jan 6, 2016
    Charlotte NC

It's like washing motorcycles. That's what rain's for no? o_O

I got a natural wood finish for a few reasons. Not needing to wipe it down all the time was high on the list.

pacojas and blastbass like this.
  9. Algo

Algo

Dec 3, 2008
    Santiago, Chile
    Only do it when they're covered in dust all over them.
    Otherwise, what for?

I tend to clean my amp's graphic eq and knobs more than my basses though.
    I would do a general clean up when I change strings, but I couldn't bother to the last time.

blastbass likes this.
  10. The gunk keeps the funk!

There are beer spots all over the top of my amp. Sometimes there's even some beer drips on my bass. I tend to clean those, though, as I don't want to look like a pig. :bag:

blastbass likes this.
  11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    My bass is covered in Doritos-dust. I replaced the volume and tone controls with pepperonis.

pacojas and blastbass like this.