1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The BassMute?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chaddycakes, Mar 25, 2013.

1. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    It seems awesome. Good luck getting them to respond to you though. It sounds like theyre out of business. There have been a handful of threads of people asking if anyone else has gotten responses from their site in the past few years.

2. Oh, darn. I really wanted one of these. So I gotta go lookin, huh?

3. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    If you email them on their site and get a response then let me know

4. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Yup...I've emailed them several times and never got a response. I think that there are a couple of dealer contacts on their website. Maybe you might have better luck with one of them. I stopped trying because I'm pretty sure they won't work with a Lakland bridge.

There's a video on YouTube where a guy has one on his bass. I'll see if I can find it. I think that you can find it if you search for PJ basses. The guy's name is Mike M'somethingorother.

5. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    Just a current update, 01/22/2017. In January of 2016 I noticed on the Statii.com website that BassMute was going to be at the London Bass Day. I've been trying to buy one of these on and off for over a decade so I sent off a few emails, there are multiple email addresses. No response so I gave up again. About a month ago I sent off a slew of emails to various addresses and about 10 days later received a PayPal Proforma Invoice that I had requested, lo and behold they have some in stock so I placed my order the same day. A little over a week later they shipped it via The Netherlands Post Office. It's been in the post for 9 days now and is supposedly in NYC with the USPS, no delivery date mentioned. I'll let you know when/if it shows and give a short comment once it's installed. Just an FYI, the email address that worked is ellio@bassmute.com . Fingers crossed! Ken

6. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    Well, time for a final wrap up on the BassMute. It took 26 days for delivery from the time I first tried to place an order, 14 days from receipt of the Proforma Invoice and payment. The New Year holiday may have added to the wait, I don't know for certain, but plan 3-4 weeks and you should be fine. Final cost was $111 including shipping. Communication (once established after 10+ years!) was fine, Ellio Martina seems a decent sort to deal with.

The installation was very simple and straight forward, exactly as shown in the video below. I experienced no major issues what so ever. The placement on my David King bass was much more crowded than on the P bass in the video. The bridge pickup on my bass is much closer to the propitiatory bridge (it's a headless bass and David builds his own hardware). That said, all I needed to do was trim a small piece out of the bottom of the G string mute/rubber to clear a tiny spot on the bridge. The quality of all the parts seem very good and the tape holds it in place very securely. My David King bass is unique on its own and the installed BassMute actually looks OEM to my eye.

My palm muting technique leaves a great deal to be desired, I can never seem to mute all the strings equally and the result isn't very musical. After a few minutes adjusting the proximity of the mutes to the individual strings (a tiny allen key is included as well as 4 spare mutes) it was very easy to achieve a proper balance...... all four strings decay equally. Very nice! The cam arrangement on the engaging lever has two positions, the first is most pleasing to me, the second dulls things up a little too much for my tastes but works very well.

I would heartily recommend this little gizmo to anyone looking for a bit of thump. Ken

barrybass33 likes this.
  7. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    Thx for posting. I'm going to order one.

8. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    Good luck with the BassMute. It doesn't need a lot of pressure on the strings to do its job well. Ken

9. I ordered mine a couple years ago. It took a few tries to connect with the guy - apparently he is/was a working muso in Europe, and as such isn't always in touch with his email.

As mentioned above, easy install, does what it is supposed to do. I like the 2-position lever to dial in a little or a little more thump.

Be persistent. Satisfied customer here.