The Battle of the MM/J's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Nov 4, 2003.

What's the best MM/J Bass?

Poll closed Nov 18, 2003.
  1. Aria IGB48

0 vote(s)
  2. Carvin LB70W (with or without piezo)

2 vote(s)
  3. Carvin BB70 (with or without piezo)

2 vote(s)
  4. Lakland 4-94

25 vote(s)
  5. MTD Heir

4 vote(s)
  6. Warwick Corvette Jazzman (Including FNA's)

9 vote(s)
  7. Warwick Streamer Jazzman (Including FNA's)

2 vote(s)
  8. Washburn RB2002

1 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I played a bass with a MM and a J a while ago and I really liked. I don't remember what brand it was.

I've decided that MM/J is my favorite pickup configuration. So I'm starting a poll to see which is the TB MM/J Bass favorite.

So, will it be the Warwicks with their uncontested growl. Carvins with their fantastic woodwork. Laklands with their whatever they have that make them so expensive. Washburn and MTD with whatever they have. Or will it be Aria with their extreme lack of everything that makes a nice bass.

Oh yea, just 4 strings this time.

Let the battle begin!

Note: If you have never played a MM/J Bass, don't vote. I'm looking at you, Warwick fans. The Corvette Standard and Corvette Jazzman do not sound entirely alike. Same with you Carvin people! Put all Carvin models besides the Bunny Brunnel series in the 1st Carvin option.
  2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Also, if you know of any other MM/J Basses, please post them. Or any pics of nice ones.
  3. Lakland 4-94 all the way!

I make a point to post when I vote on a poll, so my choice from the list is the Lakland 4-94.

I think they are well built and sound fantastic.

4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Haven't played the Lakland, but love Warwicks, therefore either of the FNA's would be my choice.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    For ME, it would be no contest - the Lakland, hands down.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Given the choices up there, I voted 4-94, but you may also want to consider the 44-02. They are less expensive and still excellent instruments.

Or you can go the direction that I did, I took a Warmoth body and had Karl Hoyt build me a neck to fit it. I then put Duncan pups into it. Total cost was around $1000 for all new parts. About $500 of that was the body. If you don't custom order a body and take something from the thrift shop, you can lower that price. Click here for pics
  7. i've played several 44-94s at the lakland shop (all bartolini, no duncan) in chicago. i have also played an MTD kingston (i know it's not an heir, but the experience translates), and a couple warwicks with MM/J pickups.

without a doubt, the lakland is the most balanced and sweet sounding. i was not at all pleased with the sound of the kingston, and the warwicks just didn't sound right. the best sounding warwick i've every played was the infinity LTD. but i digress.

i have not had the opportunity to play a carvin, washburn, or aria with MM/J pickups. i have not been impressed with washburn basses in the past.

8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    What I want to know is, what is the Kingston Heir, Washburn RB, Aria and Carvin doing up there. The Lakland completely blows them away, including the Warwick. I think its an unfair comparison considering the Lakland is much more expensive than the other basses in the options.
  9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I've never played a Lakland, they're my dream basses. I like basses MM/J, right now I have to settle for Carvins because they are the only ones in my price range.

Don't bash Carvin. They're higher end basses are fine as is. Slap on a new preamp and pickups and they can sound better than any MM/J bass I've ever heard (note: I have never heard a Lakland). The woodworking of the Carvin factory is fantastic. Carvins really give you a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm not a fan of Warwicks. I like the growl, but they sound terrible on the higher strings. The MEC pickups can't produce nice treble. Period. The older model ones with SD's are OK, but I'd still prefer a high-end Carvin over them.

I like the Warmoth bass, that's what I'm thinking about doing for my next bass.

I put the Washburn, Aria, etc. in case anybody likes to play crappy basses.
  10. Even though those MTDs are made in Korea, doesn't mean they are crap.

Heck, I even played an MTD Kingston 5, and the sound and feel of it made me want to sell my Modulus.

Just because a Kia doesn't have this symbol [​IMG]
    on the hood, doesn't mean that it won't run.
  11. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I am going with the lakland here. The Warwick MM/J sounds pretty good, but the one i played had really bad action... so it kind of turned me off. As far as Carvins go, I really think that they look better than they sound. The MTD Heir is a great bass. For the price ($700.00 I think?) they are hard to beat.
  12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    This is an exaggeration, right?
  13. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've only played the MTD Heir, so I didn't vote. I bought one sight-unseen and was really very pleasantly surprised with the sound of the MM/J pup combo. Consider this a vote for that pup configuration rather than any particular bass... definite agreement here though with the assertion that the MTD Korean instruments are absolutely fabulous for the price.

14. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I recently played a Modulus Flea Bass with a bartolini J and MM pickup in it. I was very impressed with the clarity and thought it sounded pretty good, even though I am not a huge fan of J pickups. but out of the ones up there, the Lakland gets my vote.
  15. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Do you think that many Laklands and that Modulus Flea MM/J equipped with Bartolinis sacrifice growl for clarity? Or do you think they have enough umph to get the job done?
  16. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    Personally, I think the Flea does sacrifice some of that MM growl with a J pickup in it. It sounded that way when I A/B'd a regular MM equipped Flea with it. It might be able to get the job done, I just think the addition of a J pickup isn't necessary for what I play and that was the only reason I didn't get one.
    As for the Lakland, I can't really give you a good opinion on it because I barely remember trying it, but I do remember being more impressed with the Flea for some reason. I think the Lakland had slightly more growl due to the wood neck, but it could of been something else...i dunno my memory sucks sorry.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would steer clear of the carvin LB75 J and MM the pick ups are seriously lacking in tone and in my case output. When i sent the Carvin back this is the nice J and MM i got instead.
  18. No I assure you, I'm quite serious. They sound quite similar, the Modulus a tad warmer (Bartolini electronics) but the feel of the MTD won me over. My Modulus just doesn't fit my hands, and the MTD felt like it was sculpted for my hands. All a matter of personal preference, not personal pocketbook.
  19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive owned a lakland and have played the carvin and warwick mm/j models. my old 5594 was one of the best playing basses ive owned but i prefered the tone of both the carvin and warwick.
  20. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Warwick Corvette Jazzman, but just bc im a big drooler over Warwicks. I plan on making my next (distant future) bass purchase a warwick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.