Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Beast

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Anathema, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Anathema

Anathema Guest

Mar 20, 2002
    San Diego, California
    I was thinking of buying a B.C. Rich Beast Bass. Some person told me the B.C. Rich Basses suck. Anyone have an opinion?:confused: Picture of the Beast

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    How does it sound?

3. Its all based on opinion really, there's no objective scale one whether or not B.C. Rich basses suck or don't suck
    I've heard good things about Rich basses, and bad things too. If you like the double P pickup setting, I would look into it. But as far as I know, there's no repetitive problems with Quality Control and the like, mostly just problems with the look of it. (Its definately not a bass you take to a jazz gig)
    Ultimately it comes down to what you think, try and play that model, or and Rich, and decide for yourself.

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ive played (and owned) a Warlock, I know its not a Beast. The non-US made Rich's have hardcore neck dive, weak electronics (soundwise), poor construction, and are just uncomfortable. Ive only played a few so maybe I got the crap ones (probally not). I myself think the look cool, but looks aint everything. Thats just MI though.

5. !warning! incomming opinion

BC RICH BASS SOUND AND PLAY ABOUT AS TERRIBLE AS THEY LOOK.

why? please someone give me a good reason WHY?

6. I have an '84 NJ warlock which is very nice, and Ive played newer warlocks. They have a very metallic sound and, in the deafualt setup, won't fit well with anything other than metal. The beast is pretty sweet looking and ive never played one, so maybe its different. The beast has that 'fast back' neck joint so Id ask about the quality of that before i bought one myself. Good luck.
    -Skip

7. They do look pretty tuff, but like people said might not be the best bass. Go and try some, since only you can choose, but bands are only as good as how pointy there instruments are.

jtbp

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hear the handmade USA series are pretty sweet axes, but I have heard nothing but gripes from people about the NJ, Platinum, and Bronze series inruments, for the reasons Old_Skool mentioned. I've played a few, and I concur. They pretty much prey and make buisness one people being gullible enough to fall for the image over the quality, I.E. the "it's pointy so it HAS to rock" crowd.

But, again the custom shop stuff is pretty decent...

9. all these new metal guys jumping around with they're warlocks... one day someones going to fall off the stage and take down 16 fans with them. :D

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually, they don't jump around much anymore...they already put out their eyes :eek:!

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

&nbsp; [​IMG]

&nbsp; [​IMG]

12. Goretopsy

Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    il
    "one day someones going to fall off the stage and take down 16 fans with them. "

hey now it was only 14 for th record:D
    now seroiusly i ve got a warlck (platinum) and with a set of emg's in it the ting sounds pretty sweet, ad thats not just my opionion its from other bassist/guitarist, bass teachers and retailers so with emgs its not bad sound wise but it is uncomfortable to play and it had horrible neck dive probably even worse on the beast so its all a matter of how much you really want a pointy bass but if its not for yo i suggest getting somthing more conventional, im starting to wish i had

13. I like the Beast. I almost got a USA neck through Beast 4 string. Price tag $500. I found the electronics were a little weak, but with two sets of S-D quarter pounds dropped in it, I think it would rock! If I ever join a Goth or Death Metal band, I'll probably grab one. I'd suggest finding a used one, and upgrading the electronics.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naw, can't be... It's a shame the Fly Bass isn't as pretty as the guitar.

15. Check out this marvelous one (I mean the bass :rolleyes: :D)

Beast Supreme shown at Namm 2002

[​IMG]

And for the record the lady is the bass player of "The Iron Maidens" all-female Iron Maiden tribute band that a link has been posted recently to somewhere in the forum...

16. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    that lady is scary.. i wouldn't want to get into a tumble with her...

Monty python voice on
    "RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!!!!"
    Voice off

17. The other question is if the lady will ever want to get into a tumble with you :D (OK just joking)

For myself, I wouldn't want to get into a tumble with the BASS :rolleyes:. Because it's a classical BC Rich design, very pointy!