Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Beatle Bass Sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Can anyone describe the beatle bass sound to me?

I've been looking at getting one from RondoMusic to mess around with but I dont know what to expect. Im mainly a jazz player but we tend to do some "jam" type stuff..

If you have any MP3s to post up of the bass by itself, please do

Thanks!

2. Uhh... listen to the beatles?

3. Generally they have a hollowbody kind of sound. In my experience, they don't sound really thick or full but have a bit of a hollow aspect to them. I was never a fan of the sound, personally. They don't seem very resonant compared to solid-body basses.

4. Without being offensive, thank you Mr. Obvious. I'm looking for more of a verbal description and audio of a beatle bass by itself. I know how it sounds in the context of a band but I'm just as to how it sounds by itself. There are none availble in my area for me to try out.

5. Other than Beatles "type" music, are there any other genres of music that they are known to be used in? I know Chris Wood uses one and it sounds good for what he is doing..

6. Hofner Violin Bass, flatwounds and a pick.

7. Are you describing what Chris wood uses or what makes the beatle bass sound?

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Are you talking about a real Hofner or a cheap copy, all the copies I have played do not sound anything like a Hofner, they have been mostly thin sounding. A Hofner like all the other classic short scales have powerful pickups that can make up a little for the minisculeness of them. I only played one Hofner so far [it was black with gold flower decals too] and it really put out a powerful sound, deep and warm but not muddy but like all short scales [to me] it was a bit boxy on the last few notes on the low E.

9. Well, I can only afford a copy right now but I'm just curious of the basic idea of the sound. Obviously, a Hofner is going to give the best beatle bass sound but its a bit out of my price range right now..

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    The last one I played was a Epiphone, and like almost every epi I've come across it would have killed with better pickups. The sound was like a cheap short scale hollow body, but then wasn't a Hofner in it's day; unplugged it sounded good though. The Brice looks nice for the price. But with out playing THAT bass it's self I have no idea.

11. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    There's a thread going on one of the other forums regarding this issue, and specifically about MF's Rogue copy. It gets very high marks from guys who've played Hofners extensively. $199 delivered to your door.

12. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I love my Hofner. It has such a huge sound. The string spacing is tight, so I don't play it that much with my current gig, but I always bring it out for a tune or two. I don't know about the copies, but the Hofner's can fill a room with low end. There are a lot of people that call it a one trick pony, but honestly, I've gotten so many sounds out of it. More so than any Fender or Warwick that I've played. There are alot of brands who have copied it so finding a nice one shouldn't be too hard.

13. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i love the bit on "paper back writer" where the bass trills in half a bar early....:

14. bob04

bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    didn't McCartney also use a rickenbacker, can't remember which model. Theres one on the ricky site that mentions him.

15. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    really...i cant recall a ricky bass in his hand although the other two were well into that make.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I hear it as Hollow HUGE and very BASSY.

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Are you serious? You're kidding, right?

BTW, Paperback Writer was the Ric not the Hofner.

18. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Yeah, Paul played a Ric. I'm not exactly sure which records, but I believe it was on Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour. There is a book called Beatles Gear which gets pretty in depth about all the gear The Beatles used. I think he switched back to the Hofner, but I don't know when.

19. bassman1964

bassman1964

Oct 28, 2003
    Most of Pauls stuff from Revolver on were done w/ the Rick. When Paul really started getting creative where his basslines really started to stand out was when he switched to the Rick. It recorded much better than the Hofner. Thats a fact. Paul was also using the Rick for all those great bass lines in Wings as well.

Really there were two "beatle bass tones", Hofner and Rick. He did use a Fender Jazz on a few cuts during the White Album. Some people swear by the early beatle bass tone of the Hofner. Thick, Wooly, hollow bass sounding. I have always loved the Rick sound (w/flats), punchy, defined, deep and resonant.

I have a Rick 4001s in mapleglo that is very similiar to Paul's Rick (I play lefty as well) and have it strung w/ flats. It nails McCartney's mid to late beatles and post beatle tones. I used to own a 63 Hofner reissue model, but let it go, and I really miss it. It cant compete w/ the Rick for those killer beatle bass lines, but has a loveability and can sound damn good in its own right. I will get another at some point.

20. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars