The "Beatle" Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blkholesun, Sep 20, 2005.

1. I'll start off by saying Paul McCartney is the reason I started playing bass. I played one of these, not sure what brand, a few days ago in a store and loved the sound of it. Problem is, I looked them up on ebay and prices range from $1500-$2300 and $150-$400. Aside from the fact that I know I can't afford the Hofners (the real expensive ones), I need to figure out which brand truly sounds like the real deal. If anyone could spread some light on this issue, it would be much appreciated. I don't like the sound of my current bass as much as I'd like to, and now I'm really excited about these :hyper: :bassist:
  2. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Search the archives for TONS of threads on this subject.
  3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I've got a black Jay Turser copy, and it has shockingly good tone and playability. I love it! I think they retail for around 300 USD.
  4. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I played an Epiphone copy at a local store and it wasn't bad.
  5. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm pretty certain the Brice and Rogue are produced in the same factory.

I played a violin bass on Sunday owned by MAJOR METAL (there is a picture of me playing it in the NYC GTG picture thread). He got it silly cheap on eBay... I liked it a lot (though I look REAL silly holding/playing it).
  7. I think there is a violin bass on Rondo Music that would be worth a look. I'm not a fan of the beatle bass but I've played the Epiphone and Turser versions of it and they were about the same. Still, I don't like them.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would personaly favor one of the Hofner copys made in Japan in the 60's and 70's just get it set up stringing it up wth some flats and you will be good to go.
  9. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I had a Japanese Emperador violin bass, circa 1970, and sold it to buy a Jay Turser Beatle bass. The Turser is superior in every way, including sound, finish, build quality, hardware, looks, etc. The Turser is a $200 bass which is comparable to basses double the price. The bass is really in its element from about the 9th fret down, but up though the 12th is pretty good, too. Anything over the 12th loses a little quality of sound, in defninition of notes and sustain. It is a great bass for what it is supposed to do, and every bit as good as the Epiphone Viola. It looks cooler than the Epi, though, as the headstock is shaped like the Hofner's.

The quality of entry level, low cost basses is much higher than it was in the 60's & 70's. I would buy a new copy by Turser, Rogue, Brice, etc. and even the Epiphone (about double the price the the mentioned brands), well before considering an older copy.

10. BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    I played one of those Epiphone copies. It really didnt sound the nicest, but it sure gave you a bang for the buck. It had really nice low end to it, considering that it was an Epiphone.
    dont buy from Music123... i just wanted to give you a link. Ive had bad experience with them.
  11. Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Another vote for the Jay Turser. I'm very satisfied with mine, especially since I bought it used, and paid only $159.
  12. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I know the beattle bass is hollwbody but although I do like that bass and Paul was the reason I played left handed( lol) I dont realy like the hollwbody sound. I just never had to use that sound in any of my live gigs. I am currently waiting for my violin bass made by Bud Lecompte. Its not a hollowbody but I do get the shape and my choice of woods, and it will be a fretless 5 string.From the entries in response to your thread I would have to agree with the Turser choice , but if you want to spend the money, save for a hofner if thats what you want.
  14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    ...or buy a Ric and put flats on it. I just got a 4003, and with broken in TI flats, it HAS that Abbey Road tone. Paul recorded with a Ric from 66 on.
  15. SeanE

Sep 20, 2005
    +1 for the JT.

I almost bought a Jay Turser a few months ago. It's fabulous bass for the price. I ended up going in a different direction (I realized I needed a j-bass), but if you want THAT sound, you can't go wrong.
  16. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I have a songwriting partner who is a huge Beatles fan. A while back I recorded some bass parts on some songs that he was working on. My friend had me recording with a 60's Hofner Beatle bass, a 90's Hofner reissue of McCartney's bass and a Rogue Beatle Bass. After playing and recording will all three I really couldn't tell much of a difference between the Rogue and the Hofners. In fact I really prefered the Rogue to the Hofners. I would definitely consider it or the Brices if I was wanting a Hofner copy.
  17. Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    what Cheezew said.... sorta.

yesterday I played a '74 Rich solid with maple neck/board that is/was a leftie, flipped converted to right hand. it was nasty looking with strange old pickups with generous helpings of shiny nickel in all the wrong places.

i was pretty well blown back. That thing hits like a sledgehammer no matter how you push it. it never wallowed... had an almost guitar-like cleanness to the tone but hit like @#$@#@!!. I had to calm down so the sales guy didn't see how much I was impressed.
    good player too... no complaints though the neck was wider than my primary pref
  18. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    +1 on the Turser. I got a black one a couple of years back for $200 off ebay (barely used) and I love it. The fit and finish are excellent, along with playability. Limited lifetime warranty if you buy it new - can't beat that with a stick. I threw a set of Pyramid flats on it and for all intents and purposes I can't tell the difference from a Hofner at a gig. It's a novelty bass for me and I can't see spending $2K for a bass that'll spend most of its time in the closet.

Is it plywood? Yes.
    Does it sound and play great? Yes.
    One trick pony? Yes.
    Is it worth it? Absolutely!
  19. Thanks all, I think I'm going with a jay turser. I can't help but love the sound of that bass, and it has an amazing look to it as well. Now I just have to sell my old one.
  20. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Here is one for sale for ya! --> Click Me!