1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Beatles - Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years (A Ron Howard Documentary Film)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Fab Superlative and nixdad like this.
  2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...hopefully, it's decent & with something new(?).

nixdad likes this.
  3. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    No pun intended? ;)

TheBeatlesSomethingNewreissuecover.jpg

tangentmusic and Tanner5382 like this.
  4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Nice.
    :)

nixdad likes this.
  5. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
  6. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Thank you very much. I get giddy about all Beatle related info and did not know about this

tangentmusic and nixdad like this.
  7. I'm just hoping the audio is outstanding, I'm sure the video portion will be.

TD

nixdad likes this.
  8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Ron Howard usually does a good job on his projects.

You know he was the mastermind behind the Andy Griffith Show, right? :smug:

mpdd, Gravedigger Dav and nixdad like this.
  9. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I saw "Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years" with 2 of my bandmates in Pasadena last night, and all I can say is WOW.

I recommend everyone see this movie. I'm admittedly a huge Beatles fan, and am in a Beatles band, but am not a nut who thinks these guys walk on water.

Ron Howard did an excellent job in capturing the madness and incredible phenomenon that was Beatlemania; the excitement, fun, craziness and the toll it eventually took on these guys. There was never anything that had happened culturally like this before or since. Watching these guys grow from savvy, witty kids ready to take on the world to guarded, jaded adults (which was understandable) in a very short time was eye-opening. The schedule these guys had to keep and demand on their time from '64 - '66 was absolutely INSANE. These guys all had each other's backs, and Brian Epstein and their small crew certainly were instrumental in keeping it all together. They toured all over the world in a 2 1/2 year period, all of this while continuing to write, record and perform some of the most amazing material which still holds up today.

Watching these guys age and mature over a very short time is captured in this doc and is fascinating to witness. They were completely fed up and quit touring in August '66 as it was no longer fun (for several reasons,) and had become pointless. The physical transition 3 months later when they returned to the studio to begin recording Sgt. Pepper, and seeing how much they aged when they show the rooftop concert in '69 are both interesting to see.

At the conclusion of the movie, they also showed the 30 minute Shea Stadium concert, in which Vox stepped up and built them 100 watt amps. Very cool indeed!

Go see the movie.

tangentmusic, theduke1, GregC and 2 others like this.
  10. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & MD
    Saw it Thursday night. The audio restorations were phenomenal, and some of the archived video was also restored and really looked great. Never noticed before that Paul had black tapewounds on the Hofner at the Apple rooftop ("Let It Be") performance!

I'd love to learn more details about the Shea Stadium audio restoration. It was unbelievably clear.

Aberdumbie and nixdad like this.
  11. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    No doubts that some parts were dubbed in the Shea Stadium audio. There were parts where background vocals were strong even though one or more if the guys were not on-mic.
    Still very cool, nonetheless.

12. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & MD
    No doubts that some parts were dubbed in the Shea Stadium audio. There were parts where background vocals were strong even though one or more if the guys were not on-mic.
    Still very cool, nonetheless.

That's what I was thinking, but where did they get these dubs?
    Also I heard a producer talk about digitally scrubbing the crowd noise, but it's hard to honestly believe that had much to do with the final product.

nixdad and Aberdumbie like this.
  13. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm no expert, but my guess is that they lifted other portions of the song which were correct and surgically inserted where necessary. I have no doubts that anything is possible these days.

14. southpaw723

southpaw723

Oct 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Seeing it soon, can't wait

nixdad likes this.
  15. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    image.gif

16. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Watched it today on Hulu as it isn't playing anywhere near me.
    It was done really well, loved the interviews with Paul and Ringo during it. Plan on watching it again.

A good as the movie on Janis.

nixdad likes this.
  17. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I saw it Thusday and am Waiting for the Blu Ray

nixdad likes this.
  18. I'm going to have to go see this one at the theater, instead of waiting for the DVD like I usually do.

I want the Full Monty!

nixdad and JimK like this.
  19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...it's Steaming on HULU for subscribers.
    I had kinda forgotten about it until I logged into Hulu the other night.

Loved it...ordered the BD (release in Nov).

I loved the end credits/Rooftop Concert bit.
    Somebody help...why would the Police shut this down?
    Oh, people in the streets? It's The Beatles (w/ Billy Preston)...LIVE!
    ;-)

nixdad and Aberdumbie like this.
  20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    design, Fab Superlative and nixdad like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021