1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

The Beatles: Get Back documentary- definitive proof of time travel & neck dive!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tb-player, Dec 21, 2020.

1. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    This morning, Disney and Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) proved they have access to a time machine by releasing an abundantly joyous sneak peek of Jackson’s upcoming documentary, “The Beatles: Get Back.”

56 hours of unreleased/unseen footage? Definite proof that Jackson went back in time and shot it himself. Seriously though, it looks amazing.

And make note of the 3:59 mark if you think neck dive is a myth. Even Sir Paul dealt with it (with a hearty smile, in this case)

2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    This looks awesome!
    I'm not a massive Beatles fan, but I am really looking forward to this.
    Best bit for me at 4.03 ... now that's how you take off a coat!

OldDog52 likes this.
  3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Certainly a more upbeat and jolly atmosphere than what the old Let It Be film presented. The way that was put together displayed a dour, miserable scene, a chronicle of a band falling apart at the seams with apathy and acrimony, finally pulling it together briefly on the roof. Supposedly Paul wanted to “get back” to playing live, performing new, stripped-down material, and do some anonymous pub shows for a laugh, but that didn’t go over well with at least John and George, so this is as far as it got.

Ooba Tooba likes this.
  4. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    And it’s looks like a really nice coat. lol

Oddly likes this.
  5. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    My first thought when watching this was that I hope this isn’t the only happy scene & the rest is a bunch of fighting.

OldDog52 and Oddly like this.
  6. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    That old film footage has been meticulously restored. Impressive. I want to see this.

Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.
  7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Looking forward to seeing this as well. :bassist:

8. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    USA
    Yeah pretty excited about this one. I was fortunate to see Peter Jackson’s “They Shall Not Grow Old” in its limited theatre release. For those that don’t know, Peter Jackson (of Lord of the Rings fame) was given most of the remaining (and quickly deteriorating) footage from World War 1 to restore, repair and edit into a documentary. As a history buff and collector of war items, it was a labor of love. It was very well received and reviewed. Now as a fan of the Beatles, Peter and his money are no doubt going to make this opportunity an event not to miss for fans of the group. It looks like it was recorded yesterday! I purchased a bootleg vhs of Let it Be at a record show as a kid in mid 80s. I will see this in theatres for sure. I am also hoping for possibly more footage of Abbey Road songs being worked on/played in the studio. Will be nice to see them as they were, as opposed to the dour mood the original film focused on.

GregC and Oddly like this.
  9. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    There was a really good George Harrison documentary a few years ago.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Of the many basses I've used in the last 50+ years I've only had one that didn't neck dive when playing seated. It's my early '60s Kay K5195. When playing the Kay while seated and I remove both of my hands from it leaving it unsupported, it just sits there.

The neck of my Hofner violin bass dives for the floor every chance it gets.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

neat stuff! should be fun.

12. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    So if there was all this great footage of the group having a blast together, why didn't it make it into the original film?

Obviously I'm not the only one who will be asking this...

TemplesOfSyrinx likes this.
  13. Kevin Teed

Kevin Teed Guest

Mar 8, 2013
    Looking forward to watching this!

My first bass was a Hofner and I fixed this issue by packing the body full of insulation. It really solidified the bass! I highly recommend it.

Ooba Tooba likes this.
  14. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    That's what I thought. The quality looks so good, like it was shot this year almost. Can't wait to see this film, I'm a huge Beatles fan.

15. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Florida
    Like the original film makers had an agenda or something? John & Paul hate each other! Ringo & George are marginalized! Yoko broke up The Beatles!

I don't think the original film makers had a clue to the lasting impact The Beatles would have on the world. They were just trying to maximize their profits by promoting dissent at the end. Short sighted thinking. Just one man's opinion.

oldandbold likes this.
  16. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    See? Time machine!!

You heard it here first.

17. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.
    --Kurt Vonnegut

expatmuso, Oddly, GregC and 5 others like this.
  18. David_70

David_70 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Lifetime Beatles fan. Embarrassed to say I’ve seen rooftop concert many times, but never bothered to find and watch “Let it Be” film. Just watched it. I’ve heard for years about acrimony, dour moods, etc. I saw nothing but smiles and a constructive and playful atmosphere. One moment where George and Paul debate over guitar part in a Paul song — big deal. It was civil. The same fun mood you see on rooftop is in studio, with Linda’s kid frolicking around, etc. Psyched to see new film — but old film was nothing like I’ve heard it portrayed.

19. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    USA
    That’s fair I think 50 years on. At the time though the split was fresh, so of course people will read into whatever they can to see why they broke up. What a lot of people remember about that film is Paul being sort of bossy, George just telling him that whatever pleases him he’ll do it, and Ringo and John sometimes having long faces like they’re tired of being there. Of course guys who actually do a lot of studio work know you look and feel that way sometimes. Many times you’re just waking up, and in baggy clothes for comfort (not dressing up for a show). I don’t think the drab atmosphere of their studio helped the film. Looked pretty sterile in there, visual wise. I still enjoyed it. Will probably like this one more.

David_70 likes this.
  20. David_70

David_70 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Paul was definitely the driver over the last few albums, so could be looked at as “bossy.” While I didn’t think John looked bored, Ringo did — but I interpreted that expression as stoned or hungover (ha ha). Love when he lights a cigarette before “Dig a Pony” (really bad timing) and they have to halt and re-do (of course, same version as on the record). Ringo rules. Love his drumming.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    TemplesOfSyrinx and Ooba Tooba like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021