1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Beatles v Phil Collins

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Newer Dave, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Newer Dave

Newer Dave

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    So my new (first) bass to arrive tomorrow.

While I'm waiting I thought I'd ask for your opinions on which version of Tomorrow Never Knows is the best?

The Beatles original or the Phil Collins cover. I can never decide. I always like the one I heard last.

The Beatles

Phil Collins

andruca likes this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I don't think I've ever heard either version before ... and I'd be in no rush to hear them again.

It's an interesting drum pattern but both versions have too much noise going on for my taste.

3. There's also a version by Living Colour.

jwr, Spectrum, ivorytower and 9 others like this.
  4. Newer Dave

Newer Dave

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    Never heard that Living Colour version before. Mind you, there's probably a lot more I've not heard before.

5. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    How about this version by Herbie Hancock with Dave Matthews?

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...cannot beat Lennon's vocals.

Freez, Spectrum, BurnOut and 9 others like this.
  7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I came late to the party...I turned onto "Tomorrow Never Knows" when the cd was 1st issued. Late '80s/early '90s?

Anyway, it is a favourite piece of music for me. It is Lennon's soundscape of what an acid trip would sound like. Psychedelic!
    Something in the same vibe would be Jaco's "Crisis", the lead track from Word Of Mouth. It is disturbing...try that one on.

Experimental times in the mid-'60s.
    Revolver has some other experimental nuggets...backwards guitars ("I'm Only Dreaming"), sitars, double-tracked guitars, etc.
    Classic album for the ages, IMO.

biguglyman, mellowinman, MCF and 2 others like this.
  8. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I've got nothing but respect for Phil Collins, but c'mon.

The Beatle's version helped to turn the world of rock n roll and the entire culture of the 60s on its head. It helped pioneer recording techniques, songwriting techniques, instrumentation techniques, and singing techniques that influenced, and continue to influence, musicians all over the world. It's a milestone in the history of music.

The Phil Collins' version...is a cover.

9. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    no contest
    Lennon

10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

You never had heard at least the original(Beatles)version before? Seriously? That was a landmark game changing track on so many different levels. Powerful. Mind blowing. Visionary. Can you imagine what an impact on first hearing that had on anyone whose point of reference was The Dave Clark 5? Granted, things were headed in that direction(to a certain extent)with what The Yardbirds, Who, and Byrds were doing in that time period, but that took it to an entirely different level. As far as Phil Collins, well, there outta be a law. "TNK" is one of those works that is so singular that nobody should try to cover it; what's the point? What could you possibly add/improve on? On that note, a congregation of some of my favorite artists/players tried their hand at it a long time ago, and while I gave them an "E" for effort, I was disappointed...

I'm going to guess you're not a Hendrix fan. The track "Are You Experienced" was heavily influenced by TNK.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    That tune was recorded on the same day one of my buddies was born. Been listening to it a long time. I prefer the Beatles version. I totally dig the compression on the drums.

Phil Collins version - meh.

the harp unstrung and JimK like this.
  12. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Doing so much with so many restrictions...

The original/demo version(available on the 'Anthology' collection), while not so astounding, reminded me of the German group, Can

13. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Phil Collins' version sounds likes a marriage of The Bee Gees' "I Close My Eyes" and ca. 1975 ELO

14. Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    No I hadn't heard it.
    Firstly, I was one year old on it's release. It was quite a while until I listened to any Beatles music, and when I did, what I liked was the early rock'n'roll stuff. I like simple music.
    Psychedelic experimentation does nothing for me. I'll admit their constant striving to make something new, to push boundaries...that was admirable and I get how it blew peoples minds but it just holds no interest for me.
    As for your assumption that I don't like Hendrix...well yes and no.
    I consider 'The Wind Cries Mary' one of the greatest songs ever, I love 'Crosstown Traffic', 'Red House', 'Hey Joe', 'Bleeding Heart'. Heck, I've played in a Hendrix tribute band.
    But there's plenty of his music I don't care for either..and yes, 'Experienced' is one of those.

Lee Moses, JRA and JaseyT like this.
  15. Phil Collins has done many fine things in his long career, mostly while playing drums but his cover version of TNK is most certainly not one of those fine things.

16. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Youve NEVER heard this Beatles classic...You may need to do quite a bit of catch up, I think.
    I can't imagine

HypersoulRocks likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Beatles.

Spectrum, esa372, red_rhino and 2 others like this.
  18. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Tomorrow Never Knows is historic on so many levels. The song itself, the way it was recorded, it's place in music history, hell, even the drum track. I can't imagine anyone improving it.

19. Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Listening to the various versions of the song here, it's funny, I can hear a great song in there...trying to get out.

Here's a version I do like.

Spectrum, andruca, J-Mags and 6 others like this.
  20. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The Beatles version is a moment in time captured, you can’t top that. All the covers of Sgt. Pepper tunes have also been pale shadows of the original, sometimes a confluence of events and personalities produces a masterpiece, hard to recapture that. It happens, I guess, anybody prefer Dylan’s version of Watchtower to Hendrix’? Nope.