Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Beatles...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Any hardcore Beatles fans here know if the "Fab Four" went by any other names before they were known as the Beatles? I'm talking about John, Paul, George and Ringo here, not John, Paul, George and Stanley or John, Doug, George and Peter, you know? It has to be the Beatles that most people know and remember. Thanx.

2. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    Not the lineup with john, paul, george and ringo.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    So, John, Paul, George and Ringo were always known as the Beatles?

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would have to say yes.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    They had other names, but not with Ringo.

IIRC, when Ringo joined, they were the Beatles.

Originally it started with John's band The Quarrymen - and when he met Paul, Paul joined. Paul knew George, and got him into the group. The other members came & went - those three became the core members, I believe. They went through other names - Johnny & The Moondogs was one - also The Silver Beetles (or was it The Silver Beatles? Not entirely sure).

At that time they had Pete Best on drums - but, I think, by the time he was replaced by Ringo - they were already called The Beatles.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    So when did they become Grand Funk Railroad? :confused:

7. I think they were already called the Beatles when it was John, Paul, George, Stu, and Pete playing in Hamburg.

8. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Moley is right. I was just reading about this last night in The Love You Make, which was written by a Beatle insider. I also read the part last night where the author opines that John and Brian Epstein had a homosexual encounter while on holiday in Spain. :meh:

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I remember reading about that too, ages ago, I can't remember where.

I don't know if there's any truth in it. What's the source?

10. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    No source. And in the Beatles Anthology book the others state neither Brian nor John spoke of it.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Didn't they change their name tio Klaatu in the 70s and release a few minor hits? "Calling Occupants....."

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmmm. Obviously, Epstein was gay - and I think they were close, but I'm a little cynical about any "homosexual encounter". And if they didn't even tell the other Beatles - who else would they tell, who would then leak it?

The Beatles were pretty damn close.

13. The alleged "homosexual encounter" is reported in Peter Brown's book called "The Love You Make".

True or not I don't find it relevant to much. It is quite obvious that John was attracted to the opposite sex and chronicled in song after song. With Epstein being gay it is easy to make such an allegation. However, the lives of the Beatles were under a microscope that missed few details. If there was much truth to the matter it certainly would have come out in the British Tabloid Press long ago.

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have heard them referred to as "da Bee-dools." Does that count?

15. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    You are right. Three days later after having read that, I'm thinking, who cares. It kind of surprised me at the time though. They were so sweet and cherubic looking in the early days, as you know. They were much more rowdy. Those Hamburg days. Whoa.

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I think you're right.

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Who're the Beatles???

.... :p

18. Pandiatonic modal songwriters of little note!

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ringo's real name is Richard Starky :p

at anyrate, I recently listened to a lot of old beatles albums....just fantastic stuff, they were truly an amazing band.