Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The beautiful world of tapping!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lovebown, Apr 29, 2001.

1. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Oh man.
    Lately I've been learning and experimneting with a rarely used technique, namely, tapping.
    I'm starting to get the hang of it ... and .. it has totally opened new doors to me. The ability to throw in tapping in slap solos and regular playing is just so cool (not to mention tap chords). ASdfsdfsdkljf I can't explain it but ive havent been this excited about bass in a long time. TAP OWNS ALL :p

/lovebown

2. I concur. :)

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you're into tapping listen to some Stu Hamm. He does some incredible two handed tapping stuff.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    moved to Technique

Will C.:cool:

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Best of all, tapping actually sounds better on a bass guitar than on an ordinary guitar.

6. duff_hodges

duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    It feels like I've been taking back to the eighties with all this tapping lark!!! It's so tacky but it is a good technique to show off with!

7. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    if cockrock had a specific technique, it was called finger tapping, thats mainly for guitar though(no one talk about Van Halen's 'Eruption', I already know how high on the cheese meter it rates),,, but on bass it is a great technique to have in your arsenal,, John Entwistle has performed My Generation live by finger tapping some of the solo bits, if that doesn't make the audience sit back in awe then i dont know what does,,, I, being one of the many who has yet to master the technique, would like any info possible on what some of the tips and tricks behind it are :)

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Lovebown - Actually, it's only "rarely used" to you, but that's cool, you're playing is growing. So, are you using Entwistle-style tapping, like a typewriter over the pickups, or two-handed tapping- both hands on the neck?

9. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Well, out of a 1000 records you'll find tapping on like.. what... 1?

I'd say it's rarely used. Anyways, I'm using Stu Hamm technique , I think. Usually both of my hands are tapping notes.

/lovebown

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Save cash for a Chapman Stick. You'll have so much fun you'd wet your pants! :D

I'm a friend of tapping myself, although not fully comfortable with it. I mainly tap things that I can't play well with common fingerstyle. Tasteful use of tapping is kewl, although I loathe the Van Halen-esque show-off-riffs. Maybe that's why I'm having a hard time liking Billy Sheehan?

11. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    a Chapman stick?

/lovebown

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Love - From your thread starter, I took it as you meaning that it was this esoteric, arcane, technique known only to a few Sherpa bassists in Nepal. And, shoot, there's videos out on the technique. But, yeah, I don't think many people have gotten a studio call because they tap.

Yes, the two hand is typical Hamm technique. The befuddling thing is how he throws in about 3 other blazing techniques with it. :eek:

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yeah, a Chapman Stick. What, never seen one? OK, here ya go:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.stickent.com

Or, you could spend a little more cash and fetch a Warr guitar:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.warrguitars.com

Tapping Heaven! :)

14. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    By the way, guitarist will envy You, if You go next to him on the stage with that Warr Guitar :).
    Like "Who has got the biggest, huh, huh??"..

15. I don't "tap" but for those who do, how do you use it when not playing a solo?
    Does it have a non-solo place in creating a bass line for most music? Examples?

16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, if you're a skilled tapper, you could play a heckload of lines exclusively using tapping (i.e. "touch-style", two-handed tapping). I wrote a line for a song that I couldn't play well fingerstyle, so I tapped it out. If I've had it recorded you'd be the first to hear. :)

17. Thanks Oysterman,
    Are you saying skilled tappers chose to tap their lines rather than play them fingerstyle? If so, how do they maintain the punch and drive needed to support most music on bass? I ask this because I see the bass as primarily as a supporting instrument, not a lead/solo.
    T Jay

18. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Tap is usefúl when u need to be all over the fretboard at once, literally.
    Like, you could play the 5th and the octave one octave up with the right hand while simesoutanly playing roots with the left hand, nothing too fancy, but it can sound great.

Think Piano when you're tapping, it works for me.

/lovebown

19. Lovebown,
    With all respect, please tell me when bass players need to be "all over the fretboard at once"? I primarily play one note at a time, because that's what the people who hire me want.
    To me, "Think Piano" means hire a piano player. What tunes might I recognize, which have the bass player tapping through the song, not just on the solo?
    I intend no sarcasim, I'm just trying to see if tapping is a useful skill for me to learn.
    Thanks

20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    "To be all over the fretboard":

G--------12----------11----------10---
    D----5---12------4---12------3---10---
    A--------------------------------------
    E-3------------2-----------1-----------

(I hate tab :p)

Easier done by tapping the double-stops, don't you think?

I'm not saying that "skilled tappers choose to tap their lines rather than play them fingerstyle". I said that if you're a really good tapper, you could let that technique replace most of your fingerstyle, but why anyone would want to do that is beyond me (flash?).
    I'm also saying (now anyway ;)) that some lines (like the thing above) is easier to play with tapping.

And the punch is delivered from strong fingers, low action and even frets, but no matter what, you'll probably need some compression as well. I use a LOT of compression, since I tend to have a lot of unintended dynamics in my tapping. ;)