1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

the begining of the end? o.O

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by krstko, Jan 4, 2012.

1. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I don't know what is wrong. When I started with this band we had few gigs after about 3 months. Everyone said we are good, that we should fix a thing or two, but good. And than a hole. This was about 9 months ago and since than we didn't have even one gig xS My band mates are getting anoyed, we don't have any energy left. What are we doing wrong? What can I do to keep this band going? How can we get gigs? ..please help me, I'm desperate :/

2. livinitup0

livinitup0

Dec 22, 2011
    well...what are you doing to get gigs?
    does your music style fit the venues that are looking for bands right now?

I think we need a little more info

3. Exactly. Originals? Covers? What's the scene like in your area? Have you researched new venues and sent them a well drafted email, called them, stopped by at a show/open mic to introduce yourself? What happened to the place(s) you've already played at? Did they not invite you back? Do you have a demo/EP? Have you met other bands in your genre that you can play with and/or discover new venues through? More info needed before anyone will be able to help...

4. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I'm talking to pub and bar owners, to youth centers and groups, schools, .. and asking them. And if anyone needs a band he always takes someone else.

We play ''party'' music; punk-rock, r'n'r, rock ..the songs that people know and listen to

5. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    and about other bands, most are in same crap as we and others that actually play in public don't need opening bands..

6. livinitup0

livinitup0

Dec 22, 2011
    If you're in a cover band and other cover bands of a similar style are getting work then it boils down to one of two things... your approach or your product.

You said that "you" are approaching all these venues... has anyone else in the band offered to help? Are you in the same age group as most of these other bands (I know it shouldnt matter but it does) Do you have a website, a press kit?

Usually the best way to do these things is to try and get face to face with an owner/manager, give them a press kit, ask if they're looking for new bands....then always follow up in a few days/a week and ask if they've had time to check it out.

Do you have a recording you're giving to these places? Can you post a song or two on here?

If you play well and present yourself and your product well theres no reason you shouldnt be getting calls if you're approaching enough people.

7. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I'm the only one with energy, others usually just say: what's the point of going/asking there..

yes, most of bands here are our age.

We have our site on facebook, but we don't have many fans.

We do have few recordings, but we recorded with a digital camera so quality is bad (you can only hear the drummer)
    But we probably will record with mic and computer next week :)

8. What happened to the places you've played already? They didn't invite you guys back?

9. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Maryland Suburbs
    Save up your $. Have the other cats in the band do the same.

Rehearse 5 tunes that are catchy, and be able to play them spot on first take.

Go to a professional studio and make a DEMO.

Treat marketing your act as you would conduct yourself at a job interview. Don't expect anyone to take you seriously if you're not even taking yourselves seriously. Best of luck.

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    THIS

11. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    We're on -1200eur so professional studio is out ..but we will make a demo (mic -> mixer -> computer)

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Please tell me English is not your first language.

This feels like a troll thread to me.

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    At one gig, the bar owner told me that she never hires a band more often than once every couple months, because that's all the more often she can expect the band's friends and family to come out.

14. Several things happening here.
    1/ The whole band scene is nothing like it was 20 years ago. Work is hard to come by. The economy, drink/drive blitz's and home theatre are some of the contributors to this.
    2/ Because of the reasons in #1, any band has to be very professional and very pro-active to get work. You ABSOLUTELY need a quality recording or no-one, but no-one, is going to take you seriously. One mic into a computer is probably not going to cut it. You NEED to go into a studio. You also need QUALITY band photos and posters.
    3/ You ABSOLUTELY need a point of difference from the bazillion other bands that are out there trying to get the same gigs you're trying to get. For example.... I'm in a new band that is getting plenty of work. Why? Because we are the ONLY band in our area that uses an upright bass, a nylon strung guitar and a lady vocalist who has so much personality it's unbelievable. :p Almost every other band in our area is your typical distorted guitars and male vocals, playing way too loud. We cant fail!!
    The Mirrors - HOME
    We've only been together two months and we have heaps of gigs, one or more a week. We're going into the studio to cut a demo in two weeks time, because a national booking agency has promised us unlimited work, BUT WE MUST HAVE A SOUND FILE.

I hope these suggestions have given you food for thought, and that they will be of use.

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    9 months ago? I'd say it's time for a new band! Obviously the rest of your band isn't that motivated to get out gigging, and if that's something you want to do then you need to change your surroundings and find a new group that does what you want your band to do.

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Huh???

17. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    No, it's not xDD

18. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Did someone call me?

I agree with the demo suggestion , I would suggest searching the recording forum for bare bones recording methods .

19. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    How many people did you draw to those gigs that you did play? And are you somewhere in Eastern Europe perhaps?

20. nobodysfool

nobodysfool

Apr 22, 2010
    Shelby, OH
    Well, have you fixed that "thing or two"? Or is that "too much effort, and what's the point"?

If you want things in your life to change, you must be willing to change things in your life....