1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The beloved newly designed Fender High Mass bridge - Badass II knockoff

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Double E, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    So, we've all seen this new bridge in use on many of Fender's basses which formerly would've come with the Leo Quan Badass II. I have admired it from afar myself and would've thought that it to be a pretty solid bridge.

However, see the first video clip at 18:43 minutes and I bet you will be as surprised as me and Dave that there seems to be a bit of a problem. (I attempted to link to the specific point in the vid)

Who doesn't see this issue of the saddles so easily sliding back and forth as an issue? If you have this bridge, have you noticed this yourself?

I would sure like to have more tension over the saddle, this just seems weak to me.

This vid was part of a series showing an interesting repair of a worn out refin 1972 Jazz modded with a crappy bridge and takes us through the troubleshooting and resolution of a few different maladies. If you do not like Dave's World of Fun Stuff, that's too bad...you can move on. If you wanna see the whole saga, links are below. The introduction to the 1972 Jazz is during the last few moments of a video for a 2012 Fender Am Std Jazz setup.

GCPENG likes this.
  2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    My Mendel P has that bridge. I have had zero problems with it.

Double E likes this.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, that's a bunch of nothing.

the string pressure pushes the saddle forward, it's irrelevant to any actual playing issue. (if it bugs you, put a stiffer spring behind the saddle.)

i suppose one could argue that the shallow string angle (which allows you to push the saddle back) might be a detriment to tone or sustain or whatever, but i'm not sold on that either.

my problem with that bridge is that it's pre-notched, and only to the narrower .75" spacing. one of the good things about the original leo quan was you could notch it yourself to actually line up between your jazz bass pickup magnets like it's supposed to be.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  4. Double E

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    You apparently didn't watch the video. The G string saddle easily, very easily, slides back and forth and the string pressure does not push it forward... the string pressure actually holds the saddle in whatever random position it happens to get bumped into.

This is something.

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Very easy fix. As Walter said you can put a stronger spring in; or if you prefer get a few #6-32 nuts and run them into immediately in front of the plate. Once intonation is done tighten them up and the saddle isn't going anywhere.

Double E likes this.
  6. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Fuquay, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    I own this bridge and I am a dave supporter. I bought one standalone and am going to have to grind the floor of the thing down, as it literally is too damn tall, even maxed out. I have had zero problems with the saddles. Anyone else experienced height issues?

Double E likes this.
  7. Double E

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Not interested in using a neck shim?

8. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Fuquay, NC
    I was, but shaving some metal makes me less nervous longterm if that makes any sense XD

9. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Really?

Respectfully, it's easier to remove a shim if you like the results than the shaved off metal of the bridge.

One way is reversable, one way is not.

10. Yes I have one on my American Hotrod Precision and the G is a little too high for my tastes and actually would like to be able to have some leeway to go lower with them all and I don't really have much at all, I don't think it was designed very well, it's too thick you can't bring the action way down low if you want to, that is a design flaw in my book. I've been thinking of ditching it and getting one of their vintage bridges which i like. I have had no problems with the saddles sliding forward though and I use flatwound strings too.

11. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Fuquay, NC
    Yes! I know right?!