1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The benefits of working out and personal health and fitness

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Apr 30, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    To those of you who either workout regularly or maintain your body in good shape, what do you find are the benefits?

I've lost 35 pounds of fat in the past 4 months and I'm seeing all sorts of changes! I have more energy, my clothes fit better, I look better, I've gotten about 5 compliments on my weight. It really is a great feeling. Thanks Peter! :cool:

I'm wondering if there are any benefits that I'm missing.

2. That's the main benefit right there. When I exercise regularly, I feel better mentally and physically, and I get more accomplished at work and at home.
    Congrats on the weight loss, Scott. That's really impressive.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Being a ninja does do wonders for your weight. Congratulations. :)

I almost enjoy the mental benefits of working out more than the physical. I'm usually much calmer, in better moods, and have a lot less stress during the weeks I am working out. Also, I will admit to being a big fan of the "runner's high". Who doesn't like a shot of naturally produced endorphins?

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    May I ask you how you managed to do so? 35 pounds is pretty impressive.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :)

(edited from Scotts stuff)

I also left out that I just feel better.... my back is in better shape, too.... a few years ago I was thinking about getting back surgery - I think about it now and and laugh.

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Well, primarily just eating healthy. Whole grain over white, no junk, fibre, veggies, etc. Also, hitting the gyms helps.

Basically one of them fad diets. ;)

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    This really helped me. Word for word except the gym part.... I think of it as training...

:cool: :D

8. You basically covered all the pluses. You live longer too. Keep it up!

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, working out and diet helps wonders. Cutting soda from one's diet does wonders, especially for me. I'm kind of annoyed at myself for having an empty Coke can sitting right in front of me, and frankly, I haven't been sleeping as well.

A balanced diet helps maintain good feeling and whatnot.

10. Congratulations, Scott - that's great news.

11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I owe it all to you, Peter. Thanks a million!

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If you don't know you're missing them, how do you know you might be then?

Shoes last longer when you aren't fat. I used to be fat, and my shoes would break down and wear out way faster than they do now.

-Mike

13. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    Being able to refer to your arms as "guns, pythons, WMD's" is another good reason. :D

14. Your ability to keep a lady happy will improve :)