Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Berg IP112 is mine!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hrothgar, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    Wow... I just picked it up at BassNorthwest (great guys by-the-way) and got about 5 minutes of playing around on this thing here at home. It is amazing!! :hyper: I'm practically speechless. Bowlus has talked enough about it in the "future of amplification" thread already and with more knowledge and finesse than I could ever attempt. I've just got to say that it's more than worth the price tag.

I'm playing it as the IP/EX stack with a Mike Lull M5V straight into the back. It has the bass of the gods, the singing harmonics of the angels, and everything else in between. I sold all my other gear since there was no point in keeping them around to gather dust (and maybe so I could afford the IP, too...whatever). This is really where it's at.

*I've got a gig this Thursday in my R&B/neosoul group so I'll be able to speak more on it then.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thank you for your kind words! It is great to hear from other folks who have experienced these cabs, if nothing else, to confirm that I'm not going crazy and that these really are it. :)

Tom.

3. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I'm still blown away by the IP cabs after playing them at Tom's house. If I ever go on tour, my rig will be the IP310 and IP212, with a TD-1 as the preamp/DI!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good lord,

that's not a "tour", that's a 3 month long carnival ride!

5. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Where can I find info on the TD -1 preamp. I did my first gig with my IP 112 and thought it was great, but felt a pre with some tone shaping would be helpful. Those pre's are expensive right? Not that the IP isn't.

6. The Groove Shoppe carries them and has nice info on their site.

Also, check out the Epifani Quest Thread... these great pre's are being blown out for about 1/4 the price of the TD-1. They sound great, are rugged and actually meant for use with bass in a gigging situation, and are relatively lightweight.

Good luck on your search.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    +1

wont kill your bank account, and yet the Quest sounds gloriously hifi, along w/ two channels!

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Another +1 That is a crazy good deal, and I've used a Quest II with an IP cab, and it sounds great!

Tom.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just dont tell jim. ;)

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    LOL! :p Maybe it will encourage him to finally get his line driver/DI on the market.

11. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    If it's not too much trouble, how much do these cabinets usually go for? After what I've heard about them, I'm EXTREMELY interested. I always thought that the power section in the cab made more sense than the power section in the preamp (Acoustic!).

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You need to contact a dealer for the official pricing (and it is fixed), but the IP112 goes for around $1,800+ and the IP212/IP310 for @ $2,500. The prices may seem steep, but believe it or not, they don't involve a lot of markup (the components aren't cheap!). Also, if you compare the price of equivalent cabs AND equivalent heads, it seems much more reasonable. Once you hear one, though, you totally realize that you get what you pay for. :)

Tom.

13. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    What kind of power amp is in these things? Can you buy it separate from the manufacturer?

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    All I have to say is, while I can't afford an IP310 or lug one around, it was a life changing experience playing thru one. :)

I do think the IP112 was pretty amazing, but I shoulda' checked it out before the IP310 ruined me. :)

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Proprietary. It's 1,000w into a 4 ohm load, and 500w into an 8 ohm load. The 4 ohm cabs (IP212/IP310) do not have a "speaker out" jack. The IP112 is 8 ohm, and has a speaker out, which would ideally power an 8 ohm EX112.

No.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Did you actually pick it up? I have Ken Jung on tape saying "Really, it's not too bad." ;) :D

17. Pretty expensive, but you get the power + the speaker so it's not that much worse than some of the more expensive cabs and power amps out there today. Would like to hear one in person some day.

What's the 310 weigh in at?

18. 86lbs according to the website. How loud is a 310 compared with a typical 410?

Ok Hrothgar, next question was for you but as I look at your name I suddenly realize how epic your name is! I think people took pictures of me in my grendel shirt last friday in a gig i played i'll have to share sometime.... anyways, how loud does your 112 fair with other 12s? Let us know how a gig goes when you take it on a date.

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    With what amp? Actually, it doesn't matter. The IP310 was one of the loudest "things" at my GTG. It's stupid loud, and that was with just plugging straight in. :eek: It's louder with a preamp. :bassist:

20. A big +1 here. I went to Tom's GTG with a lot of skepticism regarding the IP's. That IP310 really is magnificent sounding, although I'm one that feels you would need at least some sort of simple pre with tone controls to 'tune' your sound to the room, etc. Back on topic, though....that thing smoked my beloved Epi410UL (which is one heck of a 410 IMO) in both low end response and pure volume. While it is not a lightweight cab, it is no heavier than other 'non-neo' cabs.

I would still like to see a few design tweeks regarding protection of the amp section (although the cover does have a lot of padding). But... that's just tweeking... I would think the IP310 (and the 212) would each be enough to do virtually any gig short of a full blown heavy metal thing. Very nice product!