The Berklee Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tucker, Apr 25, 2003.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    I just found out yesterday that I was accepted into Berklee. It doesn't seem real but I guess we'll have to see. Well I'm excited about it and I just wanted to let others know cause this is big news for me.
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Give 'em all you got! :bassist:
  4. What were the requirements to get in? Did you have over a 3.0 GPA? Did you have to take any test? Im interested in seeing if I could get myself into Berklee in the near future.
  5. My friend was accepted to Berklee earlier this year. He's pretty pumped about it. And he's a bassplayer.
  6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Berklee is the only music school i know that does not have a audition or test to get in. Its pretty much if your willing to pay 32 grand a year you can go. But who really pays 32 grand to go to school if they suck i guess. My friend goes there for percussion and loves it. Its kinda an annoying scene if u ask me. Its just a bunch of stuck up kids who think they are the best player around and will just talk stuff all day to you. If your real full of yourself youll fit in well there.

7. You know this by experience? Or are you just supposing that since they pay 32 grand a year they are stuck up preps? I'd really like to know, Please enlighten me.
  8. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm curious about music schools reps. The University of North Texas has a seriously kickin' music program. Their Jazz lab band has won grammies. Why don't I hear people being excited about going there? I'm sure Berklee must be good, But why all the fuss?
  9. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    U of N T does'nt have "slap'n'tap" classes,Berklee does.;)
  10. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i do have first hand experience. I took a music camp there. I have also visited my friend a few times who goes there. Im not saying that they are stuck up preps, i go to a expensive private school, they are just kids who were the best from where they came from then they get placed with a bunch of kids just like them. It wasnt an atmosphere i liked or could learn well in. I do go to a fairly respected music school so I do know the difference. When you graduate from berklee you dont get a diploma so unless your going straight into a music related field your basically looking at mcdonalds. With the onslaught of synths and such its pretty hard to get a job as a studio pro now a days. Im just saying everyone acts like berklee is the end all of music schools, and it might be, but its not your best well rounded school. There are plenty of good univerisities that have amazing music programs. I looked at IU's and my school, Butler. Going to a university is a better bet in my opinion, cuz it leaves u with more options.
  11. I agree with Hyperlitem about the attitude of most of the kids at Berklee to an extent. I did a couple of the music camps in 2001 (the summer bass weekend and brass weekend) although I did have alot of fun there were alot of really stuck up people who thought they were all "cock of the walk" which got real annoying real fast but there were alot of cool and friendly people that made up for it. I applied to Berklee regardless because there bass program and staff are incredible and I did get accepted but I chose to go to Umass Amherst instead because I am not intersted in a music major anymore. Have you been able to visit the campus yet? it is in a real cool and happening part of Boston with alot of things to do in close proximity to the school.

Have fun and good luck!

P.S. if you need a job up there maybe I can get you a job at my Aunt's record store on Newbury Street (runs parallel to Boylston where Berklee is).
  12. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Howdy all,

I just recieved notification of my acceptance to berklee yesterday to study music and production engineering, and i'm stoked!
    I'm currently a sophmore at North Carolina State University studying material science engineering, but i'm having some serious decision making problems.

Problems with Berklee: expense, loss of credits via transfer.

I am asking for any advice/suggestions or any input from anyone who has attended berklee. I'm really jazzed about getting in, but i'm just not sure if it would be worth the expense.

much obliged.
  13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I attended Berklee for a year in 1978-79, and although much has changed physically, from what I've gathered from cats who've attended recently, not much has changed otherwise...which is both good and bad.

Before giving you advice on whether or not you should attend, I would ask you what you expect from a Berklee education. Even though they have a good music production program, if it costs more than NC State :eek: ...

Many cats falsely perceive Berklee to be a place where growth as a musician happens by osmosis...but it don't, dig? Yes, you can become better "edumacated" at Berklee, but it's still good ol' fashioned talent that gets you the gig.

To cut to the chase, my advice to you would be to stay at NC State and get what sounds like a marketable degree you can fall back on (your parents are right), then after graduation move to either NYC, LA, Nashville, Miami, etc...wherever there's lots of successful commercial studios (and the possibility to play gigs, or get any kind of subsistence-level job you can), and offer to apprentice for free.
  14. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the advice Craig,

My main reason for considering Berklee was there job placement record. From what i've heard they help you to get into the pipeline of the music industry, which is key for recording engineergs... i suppose.

Anyways, this was my main reason, along with the fact that i would be surrounded by like minded musicians, which is always a plus.
  15. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Is it the berklee school of music in boston? or california berklee?

if its in boston, by aunt teaches Buisness there.
  16. Dcd004

Dec 14, 2002
    Huber Heights ohio
    100% worth the expence unless u go to some place like Julliard u cant do much better congrats
  17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The California one is called Berkeley.