1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The best 12AX7's and 12AU7's for SVT 3-PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miketallica315, Oct 4, 2010.

1. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Hello bass friends,
    I have to replace the tubes in my 2006 (American) SVT 3-PRO. I am on a budget (not really) and am looking for the best tubes to provide the best tone possible. Naturally, I looked at Groove Tubes first, but the Ampeg Tech Rep said that he thought that the Electro-Harmonix were the best way to go. This is my first re-tube ever since owning my SVT. What do you guys think? I value everyone’s opinion because I am a tone junkie and I have no clue what is the best or what to use because again, I have never done this before. Thanks everybody!:bassist:

2. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    This is pretty subjective, but I'd say get the JAN 6189W for the 12AU7, they are somewhat inexpensive, but really good quality .... I've had good luck with JJ's

3. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I am looking for an "edgy" that also gives a lot of gain and low noise. I forgot to mention that. Thanks!

4. I agree on the JJs. In my pre-amp they made a difference from the Sovtek that I used at first. It's nothing I can quantify but it just seemed better. truthfully I can't even tell you if it's real or imagined.

That said, I honestly don't think that many players would notice too much difference between brands. For you, you'll just have to try.

5. kaygee

kaygee

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Another vote for JJ's from me, good tone and value for money

6. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    JJ ECC803S (The one with the really long plate...) Best sounding preamp tube I've ever used. EVAH.

7. ptolemny

ptolemny

Jan 12, 2010
    California
    I've got JJs in mine and I like 'em, but unless you've been playing the ever-loving sh*t out of your amp the pre-amp tubes should still have plenty of life left in them.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The op doesn't mention *why* the tubes need changing. My opinion is, unless they're broken, they don't need replacing. They often last for decades of hard use. Unless this is purely a tone quest, in which case there's no right answer anyway. I will say, I have JJ's in my Buster amp, and they sound great.

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
  10. spook

spook

May 31, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    I am in the same boat, about to replace all the tubes in a SVT-3 Pro head... seems like everyone likes the JJ tubes, and i am inclined to go that way this time around.

Am i understanding that the JJ ECC803S (3x12ax7) will be the best choice for the preamp section??

For the amp section, which is the best choice? the JJ ECC83-S or the ECC803S for the 12ax7??

And for the poweramp 12au7 a JJ ECC802-S. Good choice??

I typically push the amp to very high gain, and i like to overdrive the preamp a bit to get presence.

thanks for any input you can offer...

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    12AU7: NOS Amperex/RCA/JAN
    The JJ is noisier. Try getting a 12AU7A (A at the end) or a 6189 NOS
    EHX is very low noise.

12AX7:
    -Tung Sol: harder response, tighter.,brighter.
    -JJ: Creamier, less top, creamy midrange.

-EHX: Cant go wrong, these replace sovteks nowadays

12. CVsawyer

CVsawyer

Sep 22, 2010
    Sorry to disagree, I have had my svt-3 for about 5 yrs. and slowly started to notice lack of tone, like my strings were dead or i needed to change the 9volts in my bass. I was constantly fudging with my eq and it did no good. I changed my tubes last week (all JJs) and it sounds 10x better now all for a little over 50 bucks.:D

13. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    There are some other posts on this same topic but when I had one I felt that:
    * These amp are not that sensitive to tubes although the V1 slot made th bigger difference (as expected)
    * Tried Sylvania, Groove Tube, Sovtech, & National with VERY little tonal difference
    * Old Mullard sounded the best; not sure that it is worth approx $40 of difference based on used tube pricing on eBay