Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Best 210 for Rock/Country???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheLarch, Feb 18, 2003.

1. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

What would be your ideal, stand-alone 210 for roots-rock/country/rock-a-billy?

I'm looking to upgrade my present cabinet situation.

Here are my pertinent details:

1) I play a G&L ASAT and Epiphone Jack Casady.

2) I use an Ampeg SVT-3Pro (tube gain at least 75% up usually) - a highly-inflated 450 RMS @4ohms, 275@8ohms. I really want to go with a single 4ohm cabinet

3) I currently use an older Avatar 210 (8 ohm) - nice and punchy but not enough bottom-end oomph. I'm looking to replace this cab.

4) I live in NYC and do the vast majority of my shows in NYC. I don't have a car and rely on the subway, or taxi when I'm feeling sassy. TRANSPORTABILITY IS KEY!!!!

5) I'm looking to add more bottom.

6) Price IS an object and I'd prefer to keep the $$ close to $300-$400, so I know that I'm realistically looking at a used cab. However, I'd spend extra for the right cab.

While I like to think I'm a pretty good player as I've been playing for 20+ years, the nature of my music doesn't require the sublety of the super Hi-Fi stuff like Bergantino, EA or EBS.

What would you folks recommend??

Would a single 1X12 be a good option to suit all of my needs? If so - which one would suit the above-criteria?

Much thanks in advance!!

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    swr readhead. I think its far and away the best 2x10 combo ive ever played, plenty of bottom end. Ive also heard good things about those peavey bams but never tried one.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, if transport is the key, stop by Rudy's, and try out an Ampeg Portabass 2x10 cab. nice tones, and at a measily 32 lbs., its AMAZINGLY light. the lightest 2x10 out there. and, it has a luggage like handle that telescopes out for easy haul. only problem is, its about $550.

[​IMG]

a 2x10 would definitely be punchier, and cut thru a dense mix. but if its a small combo, with just you, a guitarist, and drummer, then i think a 1x12 would be more filling for the low end. a grindy, BBQ like, 40 lbs. $399 Aguilar GS112 should fit the bill nicely. you should be able to pick one up used for much less.

[​IMG]

IMHO, hauling around that Ampeg head isnt really NYC conducive. keep it at home, or better yet, sell it, and invest in a 15 lbs. 400 watt, Eden WT400. that and either the Aguilar or Ampeg cab would make a devasting combo.

and of course, no gigger in the NYC metro area should be without one of these...

[​IMG]

stop by B&H Photo/Video, or Sam Ash, or Manny's on 48th. st. they usually have 'em by the door, and run about $90.

good luck!

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hartke's new 2100 looks interesting for 2x10. I tried the 4x10 of the same series and it was the tightest cab I've heard :eek:

The negative side is that it weights 60lbs, comes with casters and side handles though.

[​IMG]

5. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I think the Eden D210XLT would fit your sound requirements perfectly for rock/country. However, since portability is a factor, I would choose Aguilar's 1X12 cabinet.

6. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

Thanks for all of the great info!

I'm considering a 4 ohm Eden 210XLT on Ebay and if that goes out of price range, I'll likely aim for an Aguilar 1x12. I know that the Eden does weigh a ton - but I'm pretty sure that the tone will be worth it.

I'm going to be playing with two projects and both will have a relatively dense mix with 2 guitars, and one even has a harmonica thrown into the mix. I will definitely need to cut through and prop up the bottom.

What about the G-K 1001RB or SWR Super Redhead or Peavey BAM as stand-alone options?

7. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I like the ampeg myself

8. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I've got a G & L ASAT and a super redhead. They sound great together. The redheads heavy, @ 80 lbs, but it's on removable casters. It also comes with a front cover that acts as a angled stand for the amp when you remove the casters. I've played it in an original alternative rock band, 50/60/classic rock band, and a polka band. The only time I needed a little more ooomph was with the polka band. I have a 1x15 that I bring to those jobs for a little more bottom. The redhead has more than enough power for both. 350 by itself, 400 with a 8 ohm ext, 450 with a 4 ohm ext.

9. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i agree with chris - the swr redhead is heavy & bulky. even though it's on wheels - you still have to carry it up and down substairs, right? i think you'd throw your back out. it's an awkward amp. i used to have one.

BUT - the sound is killer. and the cover will protect the amp & speakers to a certain degree, whic his a nice feature.

If i were you I would consider trading the SVT 3 for smaller amp as mentioned above. Then try out the portabass. also - mesa has a new combo worth checking out. I htink it's the walkabout amp with a few options in terms of speaker set up. 600 watts i think.

good luck,
    erik

10. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA