Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the best ampsto buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hervetlse, Jan 26, 2002.

1. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    hello bassists we are the best !!!
    I have a warwick thumb bass 4 strings and i need a light combo between 150W and 300W with powerful sounds.
    At first i planned to buy a trace elliot 712 or 715 gp7 130W or 150W but only the ah300-12 (gp12) 300W have a preamp solid/valve. The only problem it's the price : more than $1200. So i tried the ROLAND DB500 160W that seems to have great sounds. Some people told me to buy an EBS , others told me to go for an ashdown, hartke 2115 or 2155, warwick cl-4, carvin tiltback 2x10", or eden time traveller or nemesis nc-210p, nc112.

You must have tried some of these amps, which one would you buy if you were me.

Thank you all for your opinions.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Bonjour!

do a search, my friend for anything in that "300 watts" or "400 watts", and you'll come up with Eden's WT400, EA iAMP 350, and countless more...

3. I have an NC-410P. It's not really light (70 lb.) but I think it's a great amp for the price. The 210 or 112 might be a little more up your alley if light is what you're looking for. If headroom's what you need the 410 is louder than the 210 or the 112.

AS always, YMMV.

allan

4. robot

robot

Feb 29, 2000
    Jacksonville, FL
    I moved up from a SWR Workingman's 10 to a Nemesis nc200 1x12 last year with the desire for a combo amp with more power, but without weighing like an SVT bass head. I found the Nemesis to be great for anything I wanted to play from John Coltrane to Rush or U2.
    Its ample power at 200 watts still shakes the cabinets loose in my house.

The only problem, initially, with the Nemesis, was finding one new in my area of NY. I went the used route through
    the 'Net and found mine courtesy of Music Go Round somewhere in the Mid-West. Later, I found I could beat the Musician's Friend price ($675) at Fred's Music in PA which sells the Nemesis 2x10's for about $ 570+.

Good luck with your search.
    :)

5. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    thank you men for your advices. I hope that i'll find a nemesis nc210p or nc112p in my country. You know i live in France and nemesis is new for me i don't remember to have seen one in the stores. Is somebody have a warwick bass like me and think that warwick combos are made specially to be play with such basses ? EBS drome 12 seems to be a god amp with his phantom power 9v and all the options included. Anybody have tried an EBS drome? My last amp was a SWR baby blue 150w but i sold it because it wasn't enough powerful when playing in a band and we couldn't hear the high notes. Now i want a light weight combo that when you play the g string it still sound loud. Roland did this kind of thing with the db500 combo by reinforcing electronically the low level of the high notes. Those who played with the db500 combo can confirm this to me?;)