The best and brightest (sounding) flats for a BEAD Pbass.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Uncle Hanky, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    I've only had flats on one bass, and it was right when I started. I couldn't get them off fast enough.

Now that I've been playing for a few years and have several basses, I'm wanting to try them again. I'd like something with a nice punchy midrange that can respond well to a bit (or bunch) of dirt. They'll be on a P bass in BEAD.

Let the battle begin.

2. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    A TB thread asking about flats and it doesn't generate 172830037 replies? I must be doing it wrong.

3. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Bright with good mids = Ernie Ball Cobalts!

Uncle Hanky and Nashrakh like this.
  4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I've only ever tried two sets of strings in B on a P, and I'm reall not into bright sounds, so yeah...

First set I tried was a La Bella DTF medium-light set for standard tuning (!) which I thought worked very well in B. I'm used to the TI JFs, so the lower tension worked for me. The DTFs were still plenty stiff enough to hold their tuning and intonation decently. The clean sound was as you would expect: classic, vintage thud. I've actually recorded a doom record with this setup last year (release date tba). Responded well to my drive setup at least, which features two rats, a muff and a fuzz face at the same time...

Right now I've switched to the TI JF 5-string set (tossed the G string), and I couldn't be happier. A really warm midrange with zing on top, which I'm trying to lose asap. If you know how TIs sound, this will be the same just with a B string. I've yet to try them with my pedalboard.

If you want bright, Cobalts or chromes will be your thing. I didn't like them myself (too bright), and I've only played the standard sets, no B. If you're not short on cash, and BEAD flats are pricey, experiment with either of those.

Uncle Hanky and e-flat like this.
  5. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    Yeah, I was thinking Cobalts or Chromes from the research I've done. I was just curious as to what TBers would suggest.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022