The best audition: come to our next gig and bring your bass

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Seriously, that's the best type of audition I've been invited to.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    That`s a good way to make a fool of yourself too :p

3. ryanrex

ryanrex

May 26, 2008
    Yeah, I could never go to a gig unprepared. I could prob hold my own. but with songs (ive never heard before if it was original stuff) or covers Ive heard but never tried to play I would prefer to at least have a rehearsal with the band one on one first.

4. Yeah, I am to pick a few songs from their song list, those that I know, then sit in for a few songs, not do a whole set.

Bassist is leaving and simply phasing out until they replaced him.

5. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Nick you have the best "nightmare" auditions/band situations I've ever read! I seriously do feel for ya, Bro.
    Actually I have had 2 of those kinds of auditions, and I got the gig both times...not that I really wanted it....but I just had to show them I could hang :bassist:

6. No I have had great auditions, great band situations, but I was not picky.

Lesson learned.

7. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I think that's about as good an audition scenaro as you could ask for. You get to see what they are all about, what their crowd is like, etc., and you get some slack 'cause you're a "new guy".
    Good Luck, I hope it works out well for you!

8. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Live auditions are great! As long as you don't screw it up, that is. LOL You get to see how they are live, what the crowd is like, and I feel like I actually got something to work for so I'll spend more time learning the songs.

9. If you're good enough, you can own such a live audition to the point where the outgoing bassist will hurry up to get back to playing to avoid being totally shown up.

10. I don't think it is going to happen.

I told you I am not THAT good I am just your regular bass guy :)

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    We auditioned singers this way. Only one guy had the stones to show up, but he got the job!

12. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    That's even riskier for the band than it is for the auditioner.

Don't think I'd be interested in joining a band that was willing to put potentially inadequate and/or unprepared players in front of a paying audience. That's not professional, and not fair to the people who have come to see you. In principle the idea is OK, however it should be done in an open mic setting or some such, not a paying gig.

I have also known of bands who do stuff like this to cover three or four shows with different "auditioners" and pay the auditioners little or nothing and basically wind up skating a few shows not having to pay a bassist. I have nothing but contempt for bands that roll that way.

13. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I know some guys in The Cities that did an American Idol type audition for a drummer and a singer. They played every Thursday at a pretty nice looking club and had three or four people try out for each position. They had a panel of judges from other area bands, the audiance got to vote, and the band members got a vote as well. It was a pretty popular gig! They packed the club every Thursday night.

The singer they got was awesome, but the drummer the audiance voted in had some real issues.

14. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    What were the issues with the drummer? If they were music-related, then the panel of musician judges should have picked up on that and if the band ignored what the other musicians saw (and went solely by the audience vote), then that's the band's fault.

Most people that go to see bands at clubs don't know a good drummer from Jack Squat.

15. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Lock your bass in the car...go in. If you don't like the band or get a bad vibe you don't even have to introduce yourself. If it looks cool, ...

16. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

The drummer was the bands second choice. He turned out to be more than just a little crazy.

17. pbagley

pbagley

Jun 2, 2008
    Ham Lake, MN
    Well, he is a drummer. What were you expecting?

Insanity has been defined as doing the same thing and expecting a different result. In the words of Jackson Brown, "Drumers are just like that."

;) to all my drummer friends, whether you resemble the above or not.

- Paul

18. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Well there's "crazy" as in wild-n-crazy and then there's "crazy" as in psychotic/psychopathic. I kinda think Phalex is referring to the second type.

19. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Oh yeah! In a scary "The authorities had to get involved" sort of way.

20. pbagley

pbagley

Jun 2, 2008
    Ham Lake, MN
    I started a band with that guy. When we disagreed my wife got very frightened. But it was all verbal, and later he admitted it was mostly to test my ability to handle his irrationality. I seem to have passed, we're still friends many years later.

When it gets physical it's a problem. Worst I've had is sticks thrown at me by drummers, by accident of course. :eyebrow:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021