Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The best bargain bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JmD, Jan 9, 2006.

1. JmD

JmD

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    I'm talking cheap, under $500 new, or under $400 2nd hand.

What have you managed to get (with pic's if you've got them please!)?

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    That's not cheap. Under $200 new is cheap. :spit:

I'm partial to my fretless MiM jazz, $200 used.
    I got a good one, and I'm not about to let go of it. See sig for pics.

3. I'll throw in the vote for SX, they are cheap, and i think they are a good bargain...and for 400 bucks you can get a fretted and a fretless pair!

4. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Essex or Ibanez I'd say

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Snagged this active MM copy for $150.00. I added a basslines pickup and pre and I now play it more than I play my real Stingray.

6. werd! I just bought one a couple weeks ago and have been very pleased with it.. There are a couple threads I've written on this bass..

Way way way way worth the money!

7. I posted that link in your thread too. :D

8. A lot of the MF Blowout sale basses are great bargains.

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I got an OLP MM3 5-string copy for Christmas. It lists less than $300, and sells for less than it lists. I had to spend some time adjusting the truss rod and finishing the frets (about an hour with a file), but now that's done it's very playable and robust-sounding. The 5-string sounds and feels solid, too, which I certainly didn't expect. I had to let go of the Warwick Thumb fiver I used for years over the summer, and I actually like the way the OLP feels and sounds better, although it doesn't have the prestige factor of a Thumb when I show up to a gig with it.

10. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i think, if your looking under 500, if you can find a nice Ibanez SR400. I've had mine 3 years, and not a problem yet. The neck is amazing, if you like thinner necks. The sound is perfectly versatile and can fit into any setting.

I'm comletely happy with it, the only minor adjustment you may make in the future is adding new pickups (such as Barts) which is what I'm considering.

Otherwise, you're good to go.

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    For bargain basses, try before you buy! Some will blow you away and some will leave you banging your head against the wall.

12. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    Tokai Fender knockoffs and Fender Japans...

although they cost a little over $400.

13. I got a Japanese Fender P off the bay a month or so ago for 250 USD. With shipping, duty and conversion it was a little less than 400.00 CDN. I think it was a pretty good deal. :bassist:

Needless to say my Squire hasn't been picked up in about that long!

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    MTD Kingston....on the bay for way under 500.

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
  16. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Another vote for Schecter.

I'm enjoying my Model-T for $400 new.

17. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I just got my SX jazz '62 reissue.. GREAT BASS!!! and it was $139 :) $199 shipped with their best gigbag

18. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Peavey Millennium BXP is also worth considering. I tried one in a store last month and liked it, but have not owned one for the long haul.