The best Bass for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ollielangfan, May 12, 2005.

1. ollielangfan

Apr 3, 2005
    Nampa, ID
    Im just learning to play my bass with my "Bass Basix" book and my Yamaha bass but I was recently told that Yamaha really sucks. And my yamahas the only thing Ive ever played and if theres any chance that im not gonna be able to learn or play correctly with it Id get a new bass as soon as possable. So what im saying is what is the best bass for me? Im a bigginer, I like hard rock and Metal, and Im on a pretty tight bujjit. Can someone please refur me to a certain brand and/or model?
  2. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    " but I was recently told that Yamaha really sucks. "
    do you think it sucks and plus yamaha's are really good people just say there bad because you don't usually associate yamaha with music intsruments bu seriosly if you like it and your learning how to play don't worry about it
  3. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Don't expect a cheap bass sounds like a $5000 one. Yamaha basses are great bang for the buck! And if you are learning to play bass on a Yamaha, it would not be a problem if you buy on a good day a more expensive bass. I began to play bass on a Yamaha and I currently bought a MM Stringray. No problems at all. Though, I don't say that it'll feel the same. It'll take time to get used to, but you won't have major problems. Unless you buy a short scale bass or a superlong scale bass or a +6 string bass. Even then, if you play enough and if you really WANT to, it's not so hard to learn. I'd say, practise alot on your Yammie, save some money and before you buy a more expensive bass, test it in the store. Every bass, even if it's the same model and brand, is different. Buy what you like and don't buy the first bass you get your hands on. Search for a bass that fits your needs. Sound, feel, etc... Good luck! Sam.
  4. Tell them they suck and unless they wanna shell out the cash to get you a new one, then shut up!!!! :spit: Only kidding

(unless you really want to say that) :p

I learned how to play on and Ibanez GSR200, which is a $200 bass new. I didn't have any problems. All basses are the same in terms of notes on the fretboard. I say stick with what you've got until you want to upgrade.

Then comes the GAS!!! :eek:
  5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

bassist has started out on less!

Some one will always think what you own is great, someone will always think it sucks.

Practice, play, be happy.

Change strings or something.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  6. shnapper

May 1, 2005
    I own Yamaha Drums, I would own a yamaha bass. I think you should focus on learning and not what people say about certain brands of equipment.
  7. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    +1 for all the comments so far. Don't believe the hype and just play. If you are learning on a Yamaha bass then consider yourself very fortunate. There are many aspiring musicians in this world who would kill to have your bass.
  8. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    WORD.....he is a begginer? i can understans his comments about Yamaha...they have the best basses for less
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I play a PERFECT vintage Fender Precision valued at over $1000. I play a Yamaha fretless on the side, and split the playing time about 60/40 in favor of the Yamaha. Says a lot about their quality. Don't worry what about other people say, especially if YOU like YOUR gear.
  10. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Yamaha has a wide variety of bass models. I can't imagine that anyone truly believes that anything with Yamaha on the headstock sucks. The lower end Yamaha basses are decent for beginners. The mid range and upper end models a very competent. There are professionals who use Yamaha basses everyday.

If you like, then it's all good.

11. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah dude, just because someone says "Yamahas suck" doesn't mean they do. That person is just ingnorant. I used to be like that, I won't deny it. But when I decided to drop a bunch of money on an amp setup and realized I didn't have enough money for it: I sold my MIA Dlx. Jazz 5 string and bought a Yamaha BBG5S. Guess which bass sounded better? The Yamaha. Hands down. I actually don't even own an amp anymore, as I go direct every time I play. I'm sold on Yahama gear and am definitlely going to own another Yamaha bass sometime down the road. I still can't believe I'm selling mine to get a Bongo. But I really dig Bongos, so it's cool.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Brand snobs are the ones who suck.

Yamaha has some entry level basses that are very good for the price. They also have some high end basses that will stand up to anything else out there except for the most expensive customs.