The best bass for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Adrenaline, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Adrenaline

Sep 13, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Hello everyone.

I could use some help. I am a beginner electric bassist. I am having a difficult time with deciding on a great bass to learn on. Money isn't an much of an option. Some people are advising me to just get any cheap Bass and learn on that first. These people have played other instruments but are not Bassist. I was hoping that some of you guys who have been playing Bass could give me some advise on the best Bass for me to spend this learning phase with. Please be as specific as you can on make and models. This will help tremendously and serve as education. There are so many type of Basses out there. My interest are Funk, R&B, Hip Hop and Jazz mainly. I hope to be versitile. Thanks for any advice.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Highlighting these points my first thought is an American made Fender Jazz bass or even an Artist series like the Marcus Miller.

At close to the same money you could go with a Lakland Skyline series (55-02 or 44-02 are my pick).

Above that... my bass money gets spent on Benavente basses :cool:
  3. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    not much money? how much you willing to spend?

Essex(personally I have never owned one, but I keep hearing great things about em! Cheapest and probably best to start you off with)
    Fender MIM (Made in Mexico)(I started by playing a friend's Mexican P Bass, great bass, good bang for the buck, a bit more expensive unless you buy used, you might find a great deal)
    Fender MIJ (Made in Japan)(Next step up, according to some it's arguably as good/better than the MIA some of the Fender artist series are MIJ like the Marcus Miller 4string and the Geddy Lee)
    Fender MIA (Made in America) (Steadier quality control on these, better quality of wood used, but also more expensive, I started on one of these. I wouldn't recommend getting one unless you're sure you're going to like playing the bass and play for a while to come.)
  4. Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    I am actually selling my Fender Mexican made P-Bass. I recently put a Bad Ass II bridge on it. If you are interested, let me know. Also, check the For Sale forum and you will find plenty of good, used gear. I recently bought a bass off of there, and I love it.

5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Welcome aboard, I would suggest you start off with a MIM jazz bass. From what you state is your musical interest, that would be the best choice imho. That bass is very versatile and should last till you get familiar with what direction you want to go. It has also been expressed here about the MIJ artist series basses, while great basses (I own a sting and a Marcus Miller as well as a Roscoe Beck) When you move up I would recommend a MIA jazz. Simple yet effective! By the way, my interest are basically the same!
  6. I will second this here.

I will second that too (probably heard me talkin about my essex!). If you don't have a whole lot of money to spend, go for an, good, and a great beginner bass. If you are going for one of the Essex basses, go for the SJB-62 model (other letters just seperate diff colors). You can view them here

Not trying to ruin a sale for you here, but the P-Basses aren't really for that type of music. The P-Basses give the punchy sound and the Jazz basses kinda give a growl which is what Adrenaline would need for the type of music he likes/wants to play. ~ Tyler
  7. hey Ty, the dude said he's looking for something versatile, a p-bass has a very flexible tone...I'd reccommend Essex nonetheless for bang for buck quality if your budget is hurting.
  8. Oh...oversaw dat :p Well...a P/J combo would be good then for versatile ;) Or if Eric Cioe was postin... "Conklin GT7"
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And if P bass isnt ur thing, Im selling a MIM fender jazz bass. (they are , IMO, better for funk)
  10. oooooooooooooooooooooo!

look at the competition right there!
  11. i know...i got my money on the fender jazz!

poll is open, place bet here :)
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ;) But really guys i need to sell this mutha----- its going on ebay in a few days. LASST CHANCE ON GOOD DEAL IS NOW :)
  13. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    A jazz is much more flexible than the pbass, I happen to own a bunch of both (check profile). I have been playing funk since the early 70's and did use a pbass at one time. As I got older and more mature in my playing I have realized the jazz bass won the funk war hands down. Thump and pop can be done on a pbass but the tonal variation of the jazz gets the point across a whole lot better,a whole lot clearer with the mids being more pronounced.
  14. even if money is not an issue I would not go too crazy on a bass if it is your first one. I would say $1000 max. because you may not like end up selling it down the raod. I think the best thing for you to do is to go to all the music shops you can get to and play everything you can. eventually you will find something to your liking. you don't have to know how to play it just pluck some strings and fret some notes and see what is most comfortable. and you could get someone to play some fancier stuff on it see how it will sound. that said I think a Fender Jazz or precision bass would be a great place to start. my first bass was a fender precision and I still have it and play it today. 6 years later.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He didn't say money isn't an issue, he said it's not much of an option. I take that to mean there are some budgetary constraints.

I'd get a Fender Mexican Jazz Bass. You get the versatility of two pickups and that highly desireable J-bass sound. Take an experienced player with you to a store that has a lot of them, and play a bunch until you find one that feels good and sounds good. They're each different, so play a bunch. You can actually find MIMs that are fine even for pro-level gigs.
  16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I read it the otherway. That's why I said MIA Jazz. If money is an issue, I'd say a Mexican Jazz as well.

Yamaha makes some well playing budget gear too.
  17. Adrenaline

Sep 13, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks for all of the advice. It really helps because some of you are mentioning Basses I never knew about so I havent done reserch. As far as money, Its not a problem. But its always wise to get the best value for the buck. The washburn I own costed $99. I think it sucks a major portion of a**. I have heard others in the music store play the Fender Jazz. I have played with different makes but they all seem better than what I got.
  18. Would now be a bad time to suggest a Stingray5? :D
  19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Not only is it bad netiquette to try to sell your gear to people asking for advice, it's downright tacky.

If you have something to sell, post it in the classifieds, people! You'll also reach more people! :)

Beginner bass? Ibanez Roadstar. It'll last you years.
  20. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I did post it in classiofieds buut its on like page 4 by now, or farther. Im just giving people ONE last change b4 i throw it to ebay. $275 for candy apple red MIM fender jazz bass that comes with hardcase. ahh, the end.