Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The best bass for the buck.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBebop, May 11, 2003.

1. TheBebop

TheBebop

May 11, 2003
    Boston
    I'm sure you are all tired of these topics but you are going to have to deal with it. I am just getting into the bass because I would like to contribute more to my band than my modest singing skillz. What would you suggest for a [very] cheap first bass? I've heard Ibanez makes a good entry level bass, but what do people I know... um, know?

P.S. Aural Sect will own your childrens' bands.

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I would recomend that you check out Essex basses. They are widely considered great basses for the money here at talkbass. Check out the store website.

3. something used... buying a cheap bass new is a waste... you get garbage for 300 bucks new but for the same money you can find a lot of nice used basses

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Best bang for the buck... I got the Ibanez SR3005ESOL, and that is the most bang for the buck that I could think of, sounds great, nicely made, $1050... One of the nicest basses i've ever played... _-soto-_

5. TheBebop

TheBebop

May 11, 2003
    Boston
    You just want to make me whimper, don't you?

Thank you to the other two who helped, I'll consider both routes.

6. kap'n kro

kap'n kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I took a look at that link given to the essex basses to check them out... wow they looked pretty nice... almost too nice for the $199?!? being charged for them? Why are those things so cheap? Everybody knows the saying about something seeming too good to be true...

7. TheBebop

TheBebop

May 11, 2003
    Boston
    Indeed. They did look far too nice to be 119, 169, 199 dollars. Are they blemished or something?

8. mogator

mogator

Aug 12, 2002
    Since you're already a musician, here's my thoughts....

A cheap bass will either be replaced or thrown out, it won't have much resale value.

A nice bass, bought used (like from ebay, or maybe BassNW) won't need to be replaced someday. If you give up playing, you can sell it on ebay and get back most of your money.

Thats my 2 cents. As for a good used bass, I like the G&L L2000. I think the prices on these have gone up a bit in the last year though, but I recall a number of auctions closing around the $500-600 mark a year or two ago. L1000 and the SB series should be even a little less $$. Heck, I think the new import series sells for around $600, maybe check that out.

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Not at all. They are made in mass in a Korea I believe, which is why they are so cheap. Many TBers with much more expensive gear have bought these and play them regularly. Here is the megathread about these basses.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Man, you typed one sentence and you lost me. That is a record.

Good luck with your posts.

11. i got my l2k for 400 shipped off ebay, sold it at a profit... got my prelawsuit sb-2 (2j pickups) for 250... the deals are out there if you are patient
    there are 2 geddy lees with a buy it now price of 500 on ebay right now... ive heard good things about these basses but what i havent heard about is their slap tone

12. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    My bad man, I missed the whole "Very Cheap" thing. Never buy a Samick. I had the GSR200 for 2 years, and got my new one a few months ago. But that GSR is like the ultimate beginner bass... As long as you take a fair amount of care of it. Ebay is the ultimate way to go, you could get an 800 dollar bass on there for probably 3 or 400... _-soto-_