The best bass on earth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Waffleman, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Waffleman

Jun 15, 2001
    McCook NE
    um, I'm just wondering on your opinion... I'm looking for a really good 5 string bass for playing hardcore and punk music. I need something that'll sound good while slapping and doing hard stuff, but sould good while fingering it and playing soft as well...

Basically I don't know what to look for in a bass, so putting it in SIMPLE terms (for those of us with small minds), what should I look for in a bass, and what kind of bass would you suggest?
  2. Ernie Ball stingray 5. great for punk, slap, and hardcore. not to mention quality craftsmenship.
  3. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I back-up Basserman's suggestion of the Stingray 5, it has great sound and amazing versatility. When I pick up a 5-string, It'll probably be one of these!
  4. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Hmm, I am not certain you are looking for the best bass on earth, but instead, the best bass for your particular needs...

Anyway, I third the Stingray recommendation. I think they sound great for the type of music you play.

Also check out the Peavey G-5 series, if you can get over the holoflake colors (yuk!).
  5. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Mine and you cant bloody have it.

6. Methinks somebody needs to post in regard to the question, not the subject. :) Just a little light-hearted humor, don't take it to heart.

That being said, I don't think I would suggest a Hyperbass or Fodera in this case. I would probably add another vote for the Stingray 5. Tell ya what....I'll let ya know for certain when I get mine in about a week.
  7. i have a stingray 5 and i love it. i don't play hardcore or punk, but i know i could pull those types of tones out of it easily if i wanted. for me, the stingray 5 can do all around pop/rock just as well as the hardcore. also, some people in this forum have noted that they dislike maple necks on these basses and i would have to say that i disagree with them. mine has a birdseye maple neck and it does get bright at times, but that brightness allows it to cut through the mix instead of wallowing in the mud, IMO.
  8. Waffelman, Musicman basses are nothing short of excellent. I don't own one, but, I've played a few.
    How much are you looking to spend?

Mike J.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man! That is one sweet Sonus!
  10. I will also agree with the StingRay recommendation. The stupidest thing I ever did (well, only in the bass realm) was sell my StingRay 5. It was awesome! Very gutsy growly sound. If you're worried about bright, just get one with a rosewood fingerboard!
  11. Waffleman

Jun 15, 2001
    McCook NE
    Well, thanks a lot, guys... I was actually looking at a Musicman Stingray5. My brother has one and it sounds great, I just wanted to know what the opinion was. Thanks
  12. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    The best production bass, hands down, is the Rickenbacker 4003.

If you are talking custom, I would say Fodera is the finest..
  13. GroovBs

Jun 30, 2001
    a stingray5 is okay.....I think those are more of 4string basses.......a warwick LTD2000.....would do the job nicely.
  14. bassman2004

Jun 22, 2001
    I've heard the Carvins are really good five strings
  15. Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Go for the Stingray5 or a Warwick...your choice