The best bass player performance on stage??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nicklas, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    I have to say Mr Mccartney between 62-66 he really looks that he was born with his bass. He looks so happy on stage. When you see him it looks so easy to sing and at the same time play bass.....

who else have a great performance on stage.
  2. Well I'll throw a couple names into the fray...

Geezer Butler. He has some crazy right hand stuff going on that makes it constantly look like he's playing three times as much as he actually is, but it makes him look incredibly cool.

Rob Trujillo. Low slung bass and completely grooving, commands respect on stage.
  3. Darryl Johnson. He plays beautiful lines, stomps on synth bass pedals and sings all at the same time. And, with a tone to die for.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Big McCartney fan here. That said-
    I was checking out the Anthology DVDs; there's footage of Mac playing "I Saw Her Standing There"...his technique on that tune was a little painful to watch.
    (Harrison's techinque, on the other hand, looks good).

I also like the outake on "One After 909" from the Anthology cds(the take where Paul doesn't have his pick).
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Geddy Lee
    Steve Harris
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oh yeah-
    As far as looking 'happy' on-stage...
    Wooten & Oteil
    (even while playing in a local Top-40/Pop situation).
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dominique Di Piazza with the John McLaughlin Trio (w/ Trilok Gurtu on perc) at Jazzfest Gronau in the early 90s.
  8. Yep, not sure how I omitted him... even on that last Maiden live DVD the man is running around constantly for like 2 hours. I'd like to see any of the other aging rock stars do that.
  9. Mark King..

nuff said :)

and he plays my bass..well a blue version of my GB IV..ya know the famous one he used with the LEDS in the neck ...
  10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Les Claypool is my favorite. He makes it look easy and appears to be having a good time.
  11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Gary Grainger. He was a guest at the Vic Wooten show I went to last year and he just had the biggest smile on his face the whole time. Then after his one song he went to the back of the club and stood there, still with the big smile, and watched the rest of the show. Ridiculous chops too.
  12. The best I've seen;

Elvis Costello's current bassist; calmly kicking it out faster and harder than I'd ever have imagined, really the engine of the band. Pump It Up, (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea, :eek: !!

John Patitutcci (sp? I always get it wrong) with Wanye Shorter, he was playing the DB better than I've ever seen anyone else ever, yet making it look easy, and looking like he was having so much fun.

Both of them just made me feel so..... insignificant, I suppose.

just joking But seriously id have to say Jaco put on quite the show from the video's ive seen. He would balance the bass from the head on one hand, Flip it around his body like wooten does, Do flips, throw it up in the air and catch it, and just made what he was playing look so easy. Jaco had the ultimate stage presence IMO.
  14. WORD.
  15. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I'll 2nd the John Patituci w/Wayne Shorter comment. I went to see them while they where playing at Clowes Hall on the Butler Campus [my sister is a music ed major there] and HOLY CRAP. He made what he was doing seem sooo easy and looked like he was having even more fun playing than we were watching. That guy made me want to practice upright even more and to get one of my own. The music was really deep to me and had a weird mix but i'll stick to this topic :D I haven't really been to many concerts since i started playing bass-Saw Bobby Shew [sp?] and the Salsa Caliente Band [not sure if that's right or not] at the 2001 Intersections Jazz Fest in Indy. Their bassist seemed to really be enjoying it and gettin into the groove while amazing me with style. Thats about it for me. Thats all
  16. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My god, he doesnt ask, doesnt beg or please, he COMMANDS!

Vic looks relxaed when he plays aswell and i'd hate to say this, Mark hoppus looks relaxed. lol feildy always looks like his has cra***d his dacks :D that and like he has a pole up his rear end :)
  17. rob derhak of moe. he always looks like he's havin' a blast, just hangin' out and groovin'.
  18. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics

Do bass players know how to pick out pants or what?
  19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    just as *ToNeS* says: "Wear trousers?"
    (originally "Wear pants?")

as for performers.

I really liked seeing Radiohead and Colin jumping up and down, but staying perfectly was cool, he just kind of hopped.

I'll bet Jaco was the best though, since he just did that real ****, that crazy "I don't give a damn and I'm loving it" ****.

wooten is really cool though, the times I've seen him play, two were with mike stern so that was nothing special(in terms of stage presence...he was very respectful of mike's space, and his show)

but at the flecktones show he did some cool tricks(that leaning forward thing were he goes to like 45 degree angle, and bass flipping)

at the victor wooten show I saw he did all sorts of entertaining things

that 45 degree lean, bass flips, he levitated off the ground, and made a bass dissappear.(not not by throwing it back stage or anything)