The best bassist ever!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by JimmyM, Apr 15, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    My sound card isn't working, and I won't have one working until next week. I can't wait to hear the thing.

What does stand out to me, though, are a couple of things. Either everybody there is left-handed or someone managed to get the film in the projector upside down. Also, there is only one vibraphone on stage, what looks like an old Deagan set. All the other mallet instruments are marimbas. I've never seen a left-handed set of marimbas or vibes -- and these all appear left-handed.

I don't know what the bass players sounds like, but he definitely needs a sedative.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    From the site. That explains the "left handed" thing.

The Mpeg4 won't play, so I'm downloading the 68mb one. I'll watch it in the morning, 'cause I HAVE to go to bed now (I just finished a summative essay for english that was due last week -- nasty.)
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ray, with that bass player you're going to nitpick about the vibes? BTW, I don't know that a soundcard is necessary to enjoy the clip, although the sound does make it more fun. But just look at the don't need sound to know he's the greatest bassist who ever lived!
  5. Mmmm.

Clearly I need to bring more animation to my own playing.

On the other hand, maybe I want to get through a gig without a heart attack...
  6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    This video reminds that it's REALLY good I stopped smoking rocks!
  7. I'm having trouble getting this download......I have MSN Dial up, and all the downloading goodies. I keep getting a Failed Connection notice on this. I'm dyin' to see this....any suggestions? I've never had this happen before. :bawl:
  8. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    It's a bit finicky on their end - I tried the MP4 version of the clip and it worked - try that one
  9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow, that guy is ahead of his time..... at headbadnging of course!
  10. that was amazing, im inspired :hyper:
  11. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Yeah. Very impressive! I'm going to have to seriously rethink my technique after watching that.
  12. YES!!!!
    That ranks right up there with the bass pictures in my bathroom.
    What a sense of balance....When he holds both arms in the air at the same time, the bass balances right out there on the end-pin. I wonder if that's the EGG-Pin or just one of them Rabbath style hand-bent ones OR what? If he hadn't moved the bass and his own-self down in front, ((where the bass player belongs, by the way) I was figuring he'd taken off the crutch tip and pounded the sharp shaft right into the stage!! :cool:
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It was grainy, but to me it looked like he had a sharp point on the end. And I think it balanced when he wasn't touching it because he was bracing it a little with his body, and he didn't take his hands off it long enough to lose balance. You will notice that when he does the whole notes right before he takes it down to the front that it started to fall backwards. So he's definitely not propping it up with anything or jamming the point into the floor. What he should have done is what Lucille Ball did in that episode of I Love Lucy where she pretends to be a bass player and has a bass with a plunger for an endpin and plops it hard on the stage and the plunger sticks there.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Just a thought...are we actually having an intellectual discussion over this guy's technique?
  15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    With all the chicks in that band, I think I got a hunch what he's holding up the bass with.
  16. The Supporting Member...?

I do love ya!
  18. Yes, with all the chicks in that band, maybe he can't believe his own luck. That could make a guy a little frantic after all.
  19. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Maybe he just has Tourette's............
  20. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    I'll show it to my percussionist child who thinks only drum set is cool and mallets are boring.