The Best Basslines/Songs You've NEVER Heard!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Sep 6, 2005.

1. I know this is completely subjective, but I had a friend of mine ask for some good basslines or songs that he probably woudn't have heard before. I thought I would pass some along. Feel free to comment or add to the list. (I'm sticking mostly to electric here.)

BWB - "It's Your Thing" and "Up For The Down Stroke" -- Christian McBride absolutely kills on these two covers.

Chick Corea - "Fickle Funk" from Secret Agent -- Bunny Brunel's smokin' fretless!

Christian McBride - "Brown Funk (For Ray)" from A Family Affair -- It's called Brown Funk because you will crap yourself when you listen to it!

Christian McBride - "Boogie Woogie Waltz" from Vertical Vision -- Amazing cover of the Zawinal penned Weather Report tune!

The Clinton Administration - The whole One Nation Under A Re-Groove CD -- Melvin Davis lays down the funk. Add Robert Walter and Clyde Stubblefield, and you can't help but bob your head!

Dean Brown - "Take This!" from Here - I believe it is Richard Patterson or Skyler Deale on bass. Good Stuff.

Dennis Chambers - The CD Outbreak. The whole thing is great, but check out "Otay" with Gary Willis on bass.

The Detroit Experiment - "Baby Needs New Shoes" -- Al "The Burner" Turner on bass. This is one of the greatest songs I have heard. What a groove!

Frayne - "Frayne's Soul Lounge Pt. 1" -- Frayne is Ramsey Lewis' son on bass. The bass tone and playing on this is tremendous!

George Duke - The whole CD Face The Music -- It is Christian McBride on electric and upright. Unreal. Check out "Ten Mile Jog". I want that bass tone!

Javon Jackson - "Quik" from Have You Heard -- Kenny Davis tears it up on this tune.

Jimmy McGriff - "McGriff Avenue" -- Wilbur Bascomb, Jr. grooves on this. One of the rare occurances where there is actually a bass player on a B-3 player album.

Jimmy Sommers - "This Weekend" from Lovelife -- Alex Al on bass. If you can wade through the smooth jazz schmaltz on this one, you will love the bass. Alex Al is a groovy MF!

Joshua Redman Elastic Band - The album Momentum. Me'Shell and Flea trade bass duties on this one, and it is terrific!

Karl Denson's Tiny Universe - "Because of Her Beauty" from The Bridge -- Chris Wood (MMW) grooves like no other on this song. The whole CD is great with a couple of other tunes with Wood, and Ron Johnson on the rest is great.

Kevin Toney - "Ground Level" from 110 and Rising -- Alex Al tearing it up on another smooth jazz disc.

Lee Ritenour - "Captain Fingers" -- Anthony Jackson tearing it up as usual. And please buy the Overtime DVD just to see them playing this song! Amazing!

Lenny White - "Kashmir" from Edge -- Foley on bass. Ridiculous cover of the Zeppelin tune. I don't know who this Foley guy is, but man does he kill on this tune!

Les McCann - "Shabalala" from On The Soul Side -- Abe Laboriel is awesome on this album!

Owsley - Pick up either of his CD's Owsley and The Hard Way -- Millard Powers plays some fantastic bass all over these two!

Poncho Sanchez - "Squib Cakes" from Do It! -- It's Tower of Power playing behind him, what more do you need!

Raphael Saadiq - "Chic" from As Ray Ray -- Saadiq is a groove monster on this tune!

Robert Walter - "The Tease" from There Goes The Neighborhood -- Chuck Rainey on bass. This whole album is great!

Urban Knights - "Come Back Jack" and "School Days" from VI -- Maurice Fitzgerald tears it up on these two songs. Absolutely Killer!

Van Hunt - "Dust" from Van Hunt -- Larry James on bass. This is just a great song from this neo-soul multi-instrumentalist.

This is just a sample of tunes that you need to hear. Like I said, comment or add to the list!
  2. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    And this Owl adds:

Steve Khan - the entire "Modern Times" album, with Anthony Jackson's genius in full roar!
  3. Pink Floyds "Pigs (Three Different Ones). I know Pink Floyd isn't exactly rare, but for some reason people always overlook the Animals album. This song has some sweet bass playing, and even a little slap (sounds like it anyway).
    Also: Bozzio, Levin, Stevens-"Duende". An amazing collaboration between Tony Levin (bass/stick), Terry Bozzio, and Steve Stevens. Some incredible spanish-style guitar with Levin holdin it down underneath with a sweet groove.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Idiot Flesh - Blue Head
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Sleep is Wrong
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Rockets Fall on Rockets
    The Mass - la porc
    Ephel Duath - The Passage
    John Butler Trio - Betterman
    Secret Chiefs 3 - Forms: The Holy Times
    Hawkwind - The Psychedelic Warlords
    Trio Convulsant - Spector of Serling
    Olivia Tremor Control - Sleeping Company

That offbeat enough for you?
  5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Rhondasm-Rhonda Smith
    Exotic Love-Maysa
    Weekend-Foster Sylvers&Hi-Tek
    Funky attitude-Shiela E.
    Crazy-Jessie Johnson
    Special Effects-Whispers
    2001 a Bass oddyssey-Jermain Jackson
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If I've never heard 'em, how would I know! :confused:

:bag: :D
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Uhm, I never listen to the bass... what is that like another guitar? Like, doesn't the bass onlhy pleylikz the r00tz notz?! ***?!