1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Best Basslines/Songs You've NEVER Heard!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Sep 6, 2005.

1. I know this is completely subjective, but I had a friend of mine ask for some good basslines or songs that he probably woudn't have heard before. I thought I would pass some along. Feel free to comment or add to the list. (I'm sticking mostly to electric here.)

BWB - "It's Your Thing" and "Up For The Down Stroke" -- Christian McBride absolutely kills on these two covers.

Chick Corea - "Fickle Funk" from Secret Agent -- Bunny Brunel's smokin' fretless!

Christian McBride - "Brown Funk (For Ray)" from A Family Affair -- It's called Brown Funk because you will crap yourself when you listen to it!

Christian McBride - "Boogie Woogie Waltz" from Vertical Vision -- Amazing cover of the Zawinal penned Weather Report tune!

The Clinton Administration - The whole One Nation Under A Re-Groove CD -- Melvin Davis lays down the funk. Add Robert Walter and Clyde Stubblefield, and you can't help but bob your head!

Dean Brown - "Take This!" from Here - I believe it is Richard Patterson or Skyler Deale on bass. Good Stuff.

Dennis Chambers - The CD Outbreak. The whole thing is great, but check out "Otay" with Gary Willis on bass.

The Detroit Experiment - "Baby Needs New Shoes" -- Al "The Burner" Turner on bass. This is one of the greatest songs I have heard. What a groove!

Frayne - "Frayne's Soul Lounge Pt. 1" -- Frayne is Ramsey Lewis' son on bass. The bass tone and playing on this is tremendous!

George Duke - The whole CD Face The Music -- It is Christian McBride on electric and upright. Unreal. Check out "Ten Mile Jog". I want that bass tone!

Javon Jackson - "Quik" from Have You Heard -- Kenny Davis tears it up on this tune.

Jimmy McGriff - "McGriff Avenue" -- Wilbur Bascomb, Jr. grooves on this. One of the rare occurances where there is actually a bass player on a B-3 player album.

Jimmy Sommers - "This Weekend" from Lovelife -- Alex Al on bass. If you can wade through the smooth jazz schmaltz on this one, you will love the bass. Alex Al is a groovy MF!

Joshua Redman Elastic Band - The album Momentum. Me'Shell and Flea trade bass duties on this one, and it is terrific!

Karl Denson's Tiny Universe - "Because of Her Beauty" from The Bridge -- Chris Wood (MMW) grooves like no other on this song. The whole CD is great with a couple of other tunes with Wood, and Ron Johnson on the rest is great.

Kevin Toney - "Ground Level" from 110 and Rising -- Alex Al tearing it up on another smooth jazz disc.

Lee Ritenour - "Captain Fingers" -- Anthony Jackson tearing it up as usual. And please buy the Overtime DVD just to see them playing this song! Amazing!

Lenny White - "Kashmir" from Edge -- Foley on bass. Ridiculous cover of the Zeppelin tune. I don't know who this Foley guy is, but man does he kill on this tune!

Les McCann - "Shabalala" from On The Soul Side -- Abe Laboriel is awesome on this album!

Owsley - Pick up either of his CD's Owsley and The Hard Way -- Millard Powers plays some fantastic bass all over these two!

Poncho Sanchez - "Squib Cakes" from Do It! -- It's Tower of Power playing behind him, what more do you need!

Raphael Saadiq - "Chic" from As Ray Ray -- Saadiq is a groove monster on this tune!

Robert Walter - "The Tease" from There Goes The Neighborhood -- Chuck Rainey on bass. This whole album is great!

Urban Knights - "Come Back Jack" and "School Days" from VI -- Maurice Fitzgerald tears it up on these two songs. Absolutely Killer!

Van Hunt - "Dust" from Van Hunt -- Larry James on bass. This is just a great song from this neo-soul multi-instrumentalist.

This is just a sample of tunes that you need to hear. Like I said, comment or add to the list!

2. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    And this Owl adds:

Steve Khan - the entire "Modern Times" album, with Anthony Jackson's genius in full roar!

3. Pink Floyds "Pigs (Three Different Ones). I know Pink Floyd isn't exactly rare, but for some reason people always overlook the Animals album. This song has some sweet bass playing, and even a little slap (sounds like it anyway).
    Also: Bozzio, Levin, Stevens-"Duende". An amazing collaboration between Tony Levin (bass/stick), Terry Bozzio, and Steve Stevens. Some incredible spanish-style guitar with Levin holdin it down underneath with a sweet groove.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Idiot Flesh - Blue Head
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Sleep is Wrong
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Rockets Fall on Rockets
    The Mass - la porc
    Ephel Duath - The Passage
    John Butler Trio - Betterman
    Secret Chiefs 3 - Forms: The Holy Times
    Hawkwind - The Psychedelic Warlords
    Trio Convulsant - Spector of Serling
    Olivia Tremor Control - Sleeping Company

That offbeat enough for you?

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Rhondasm-Rhonda Smith
    Exotic Love-Maysa
    Weekend-Foster Sylvers&Hi-Tek
    Funky attitude-Shiela E.
    Crazy-Jessie Johnson
    Special Effects-Whispers
    Glide-Pleasure
    2001 a Bass oddyssey-Jermain Jackson

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If I've never heard 'em, how would I know! :confused:

:bag: :D

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    EXACTLY!

:D

Uhm, I never listen to the bass... what is that like another guitar? Like, doesn't the bass onlhy pleylikz the r00tz notz?! ***?!