Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Best Bass's Ever.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nancy-Boy, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Nancy-Boy

Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    Hey Everyone...well i finally got rid of my Warwick Thumb 4 Bolt-On..it was a nice bass but it just wasnt to me..I went to Music Live 2001 In Birmingham and came across a small company named GB Guitars run by the famous Bernie Goodfellow.These bass's are perhaps the best bass's u can buy..Their Rumour Series are amoung the worlds best hand made Bass guitars costing upwards of £5000.Their necks are unlike nething u've every played.superfast and they feel fantastic. The Twin Soap Bar Humbuker pickups have custom made 24V Active Electronic's with a *High Frequency* flick switch..i fully sculptured Maple body and neck.I bourght thier Work Horse Bass which is a GBIV model..been played by Marcus Miller (who owns a GB4) and Flea.
    http://www.gbguitars.clara.net/zrpris4a.jpg this is my new bass which come to me on Tuesday.they after sales service is amazing..they have set it up for free.posted it for free and given me a HardShell FlightCase for Free.If new development are developed i have the option to have them upgraded free of charge..Everyone at the show said they were "the best gutiars they'd played*

Flea has a GB 4
    Marcus Miller GB4 and a GB4
    Mark King Has several GB guitars
    Boon has a few as well

check them out www.gbguitars.clara.net

Im excited and lookin forward to my purchase that puts ur StingRays,Corvetts,Fenders etc to shame...(in my personal opinion) :D

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Glad you like 'em.

But best basses?!? I don't know...

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats Nancy. New stuff is fun. I've only heard good stuff about GB but AFAIK they're not available here in the US.

As far as putting "other basses" to shame... okay;)
    My Jazzes are still the only basses that I've played that sound like my Jazzes.

Again, I understand the euphoria but "Their necks are unlike nething u've every played.superfast and they feel fantastic." may be pushing it. Unless it's something like "W" profile I'd bet myself and others have played a neck like his;). It would truly be hard for me to imagine a neck faster than my 78 Tobias or a JayDee or Warrior, etc. ... maybe "as fast" but...

Anyway, have fun:D

4. jesica

jesica

Jul 13, 2001
    USA, MI
    nancy boy? like, as in placebo's nancy boy? just wondering...

5. Nancy-Boy

Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    Yups As In Placebo.....tho i dont play like Steffan...i just like the lyrical expressions and their whole out look on life..plus they are good song writers..and well Nancy-Boy...well that is me in a sorta kinda way..

6. Nancy-Boy

Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    Oh BTW Jesica..i noticed ur quote at the bottom of ur post...No Doubt are one of my all time favourite bands because of Gwen and Tony Karnal and Bathwater is also one of my fav songs tho for bass riffs u've just gotta luv Different People.....and Trapped in A Box....sorry but i always get excited at No Doubt...

7. Uhhh, I guess you missed the big press release from GB guitars posted over at Harmony Central. The bass you bought has been replaced by an upgraded model (GB MK II) and is no longer the best bass in the world.
    J/K, [​IMG] congrats and enjoy.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Waaaaalll, here we go again. When you get to a certain level of guitar, what is "best" becomes highly subjective and esoteric. There are going to be a lot of Fodera, Alembic, Warrior, etc. owners out there who will want to debate with you. Shoot, I'm very fond of my Laklands, too. Just remember, "Just because one thing rules doesn't mean that something else doesn't."

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They certainly make some nice looking basses, but I would have to play one to believe that they are the best. There are so many great basses out there. Fodera, Sadowsky, F Bass, Conklin, A Basses, Sei, Elrick, I could go on for days!

[​IMG]

10. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    I have played a few of his standard basses (the jazz type) and I really liked them. But not the five string models. How much??? My guess is £1500. Does your bass have the "prismatic sparkle" finish?

Matt

11. And then there are Pedulla MVPs and Hexabuzz (es.)
    Fast necks, a "poppin" punchy tone and a beautiful body. AND available in the U.S. therefore infinitely more convenient;)

12. jesica

jesica

Jul 13, 2001
    USA, MI
    yeh placebo rocks, someday i hope to marry stefan, even tho he's gay:(

13. Nancy-Boy

Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    Ok..i admit i know the GB IV has been upgraded but i did mean GB Guitars on a whole..make what "I" personally think are the best bass's.Ive played A ZON against it...and this was still nicer to play..price £1995...but i didnt pay that for it :D and yes it does have the wicked sparkly paint...the paint it's self is iridensant so it changed colour as well .from balck to purple to green

Jesica...Placebo do rock..seen em 3 times...i wanna marry brian...pitty he's a man...and Steve is one wicked drummer..they arent however a patch on Gwen :p

14. Glad you like the basses. But "best bass I've played" seems different from "Best Bass Ever".

I'd say the best bass ever is the Funk Machine, for the amount of music that came from the guy who played it.

15. Ummm...(scratches head) 24V preamp? Can someone explain the one to me? How many batteries is that? 2 and a half? :p

16. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Flea must not think that the GB4 is the best bass ever, because he has never played one in concert or for an album.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, if flea doesn't think so, then that's a strike against them. what about fIeLdY or hOpPuS? have they weighed in yet?

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Lk3 D(_)d3!!!!
    d(_)/|/ tUL|< a'botz F13lDY 'N H0p(_)$ lk3 d@T!!!!

;) :D

19. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I don't believe Marcus Miller has recorded with that bass or played it live, either.