Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The best blues bass guitar player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gus, Oct 15, 2002.

1. gus

gus

Dec 31, 2001
    Madrid (Spain)
    Who´s the best blues bass guitar player of all the times?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

That's very hard, but if I had to choose just one, I'd choose the late, great Willie Dixon. Besides playing acoustic bass, he wrote many of classic blues most enduring and well known songs. If there is such a thing as standards in blues, many would be Willie Dixon's creations. A CD featuring "The Best of" or "The Complete Willie Dixon" would be a must have CD in any serious blues bassist's collection.

I have other favorite blues bassists...Roscoe Beck, Duck Dunn, Tommy Shannon to name a few, but Willie Dixon was the "grand daddy" of them all.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Although he's not "hard blues" but more "blues rock", Tommy Shannon opened my mind up to some different ideas instead of the standard post-Robert Johnson I-IV-V progression.

Tim Bogert's work with Cactus is another blues bass that shook me up, using chords to add "sour to the sweet."

But without Willie Dixon, I wouldn't have really appreciated what Shannon and Bogert were building on.

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    The "best"?
    No such thing-
    Lots of GREATplayers, present & past...
    Willie Weeks
    Orlando Wright
    Richard Cousins
    Mack Thompson
    Lot's more...

5. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    For new school, Roscoe Beck?

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <font size=7><b>Colin Hodgkinson</b></font size>

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Barry Oakley.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I second that. Certainly the bouncinest. Check out BB King's Completely Well to hear Jemmott on some nice blues stuff.

brad cook

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I like everybodys picks....and would like to add Johnny B Gaydon from Albert Collins and a ton of other Alligator recordings.......Johnny can funk up the blues:D

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Jemmot is cool, but BB King's present bass player is no slouch either. He can play a walking bass line seemingly forever while King does one of his narratives.

11. noel redding

and now that i have discovered him duck dunn