Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Best book???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassstud1, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    OK, I'm 48 yrs. old. I want to build bass guitars and guitars for locals. What is the "Best book" or books to read before starting on my journey. I'm thinking I should have about 8 yrs. before I retire. I'm a Mfg. Eng./ Tool & Die Maker/ CNC machine programmer. My thought is to make a "macro" (variable input) style program that I can use to make most necks and maybe a few to cover most body types. I don't want to compete with the big custom builders. Just want to make a few bucks on the side and give the guy who wants a special bass built a chance to buy one without buying a "wish". Any input would be greatly appreciated. Don't worry I'm married I have been called an idiot before.

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    If you're just getting into this hobby of ours, check out the sticky FAQ on the main page of the Luthier's Corner. Basschair has been working hard to compile a complete collection of resources for builders of all stages. I think he mentions a couple books that are pretty widely accepted as great resources by the folks 'round here.

Personally I don't have nearly enough experience with the CNC side of things (not as much as I'd like, anyway) but there are a few here who might be able to help you out. If you're looking for a guy who's done it all at the small pro shop level, check out Fury Guitars. They're located in my old home town of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and they do a lot of CNC work (and will likely be willing to talk shop if you ask nice). Sheldon Dingwall uses CNC too, and he's about the nicest guy in the world (also from Saskatoon).

And just to toss out another shameless plug for another prairie boy, I saw Kyle Riabko (an endorsee for Fury) open for James Brown and boy can that kid rock. Wow. Nothing quite like performing Michael Jackson's Thriller with an acoustic guitar while his band was taking a break.

As for this forum we've got here, the FAQ and search function are your two best friends. The regulars are also very willing to help, but some won't answer questions that are asked every two days. Also, we require pictures of anything and everything.

-Nate

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Here's the segment from the FAQ on books. These are three that are generally accepted as being helpful in the process:

Building Electric Guitars: How to Make Solid-Body, Hollow-Body and Semi-Acoustic Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars
    by Martin Koch
    Martin Koch's website
    http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/index.htm

Make Your Own Electric Guitar
    by Melvyn Hiscock

To a lesser extent (though I found it useful):

Make Your Own Electric Guitar & Bass
    by Dennis Waring, David Raymond

4. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    I'm about 20 years out of the loop, but I second the recommendation of Melvyn Hiscock's book.

Hi Nate, I'll make one minor correction. Glenn from Fury is pretty much Anti-CNC. He does everything Old School, but is a tool and die wizard. I dropped by his shop a couple of weeks ago to borrow some magnet wire and left shaking my head and thinking "this must be what it would have felt like to spend an hour or two one on one with Jimi Hendrix". I'm pretty grateful to know him.

5. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Oh yeah, my bad. I recalled Perry mentioning his neck duplication system and I assumed it was CNC. I know, I know, assume. Oops.

I noticed you didn't correct me on the "about the nicest guy in the world" comment, or the fact that Kyle Riabko rocks.

-Nate

6. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Thanks for all the inpuT guys !!!!!

I will post when I start my first project so we can all have a good laugh.

"Living is Learning"