1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The best Books for beginners

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kalgore, Mar 19, 2013.

1. kalgore

kalgore

Mar 13, 2013
    Doncaster
    Any recommendations for a basics book for learning Bass please dont recommend the dummies book had a look and it was rubbish imho so let me know or is there a cheap online tool that is good but basic please dont batter me ......

I have used Rocksmith but it doesnt really teach very well and I can get high score on some stuff but im really crap on the more technical stuff i need the BASICS,

K:bag:

2. That's a great link, but none of those books, or must-read-book-recommendations, involve learning to play the bass, but rather, are geared more towards topics like band management, tour survival, etc. I think I've seen a similar thread with book recommendations along the lines of what the OP is looking for though. I'll see if I can find it when I get to a computer.

3. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland

I am curious as to what you found to be rubbish about the Dummies book. Judging by the above quote, I would have thought it ideal. :confused:

5. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
  6. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    The Ed Freidland books from Alfred Publishing are very good.
    The Chuck Rainey series - I'm not sure who published them - are very good.
    Standing In The Shadows Of Motown is good for players of any level.

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    You might also want to look at Studybass.com and Scottsbasslessons.com

8. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Hi Kalgore. Check out Hal Leonard's Bass Method Complete Edition. It's relatively cheap. I like it because it does not use tabs so you have to learn to sight read. If you don't want to learn to sight read then...I'm not sure what's a good book to start with.

9. You can always learn to read with this one:
    The Bass Guitarist's Guide to Reading Music
    http://www.basslinepublishing.com/the-bass-guitarist-s-guide-to-reading-music-beginner-level.html

I'm beginng to sound like an advert :(

10. tmntfan

tmntfan

Oct 6, 2011
    Edmonton canada
    this works
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Method-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363711792&sr=1-1

Otherwise search around the net for scale fingerings and theory then see how it applies to songs. An example of this would be learning the pink Floyd song "money". Then see how the main riff is a B minor 7 chord arppegiated; with a couple other chords- E minor and F# minor if I remember right. Find the chromatic note in the main part and see how he works the chromatics in the solo sections as well.

11. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    My apologies: this is the Ed Freidland series I erroneously stated as being published by Alfred. Oops.